account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Front coming away

Enthusiast
Message 21 of 39
Message 21 of 39

Re: Front coming away

The reason for the screen detaching in this manner is that over time the water proof adhesive on the inside starts to dry up from excessive heating from the internals, usually the CPU/GPU and battery swelling. Most of the time it starts in the top part of the phone because that's where the most heat is generated.
One time poster
Message 22 of 39
Message 22 of 39

Hi, my Sony z3 compact started separating at the screen too, never been dropped or misused, I returned it to sony repair and they said it looked like it had been dropped, refused to fix it and charged me to get it back. Been a Sony phone customer for years, definitely not buying another sony product again
Steven
Learner
Message 23 of 39
Message 23 of 39

Same here.

5 days after the warranty expired.

Very disappointing!
Apprentice
Message 24 of 39
Message 24 of 39

I have this same problem. I sent my device back under warranty but apparently its not a sony problem when there is 10 people in this forum have the same problem. They are lookin £100 to fix it. it says The display of your device is damaged. To solve the problem, the display must be replaced.

Message 25 of 39
Message 25 of 39

I have this problem 'again', I just don't understand how this happens on a premium phone, I've owned dozens of smart phones ranging from £89-£380 and non of them have had this issue, why can't Sony keep the screens on thier phones?, do thier newer models suffer from this? 

Now I have to send my phone in again and I'm stuck using my old Moto G, one thing I will say though, although the Moto G is quite under powered by todays standards other than that it has been rock solid.

:-(

Highlighted
Message 26 of 39
Message 26 of 39

Mine is coming off but in the back glass. This happened to me because I used a Stilgut glass protector. The glass bent when the phone overheated, the glass pulled off the back so it came off similarly to your phone. Did you use a glass protector as well as I did??
Ricardo
One time poster
Message 27 of 39
Message 27 of 39

My screen came off twice. First time I wasn't aware of it as it came off just a little and water sipped in with no water damage indicator triggered. Speaker, vibrator gone, big water stain on LCD. My local warranty was kind enough to replace the phone.

On the second one the screen came off halfway the next day after watching youtube a little longer on full hd thus heating the phone. The back ALSO came off. I literally used tape to hold the phone together. The warranty replaced it again, but i was through with this awful phone, sold the new unit right away. Also, never dropped either phone. They both had screen protectors and were in pristine condition.

AWFUL quality for such a high priced phone. I heard similar stories about newer ones. Never buying again from Sony.

Side note : If you own this phone and hear a slight creak when you hold it against the ear, that's the glue holding the screen screwing around. It will eventually come off if you strain the CPU too much.

Tt8
One time poster
Message 28 of 39
Message 28 of 39

I have had mine for about 6months. Two cracked screens, one cracked back later and the new front screen has started falling out again. Never again. My last Samsung lasted three years without a single issue. This is just an awful product.
Visitor
Message 29 of 39
Message 29 of 39

Just to add to the problems reported above. My phone started havind that issue after 9-10 months of purchase, but I barely noticed as I seldomly used it for calls. Initially I thought it was an Android issue, but after some research I found out the ear proximity sensor was the problem... And then I noticed the issue with the screen. Contacted Sony and told em I had to send them the phone (7 to 10 working days) and had to pay betwen $100 and $150 usd dollars to have it repaired... Which is almost what I paid for the phone initially (in a pre-paid plan). Before of this I was really happy with Sony products, now I wonder if I'll buy anything from them again.

One time poster
Message 30 of 39
Message 30 of 39

Hi all, I've got exactly the same problem on my Z3, which is just over a year old (the issue started when less than a year old).  This manifested in the following ways:

1) Phone getting very hot even when using non-intensive programs.

2) Yellowish tinge on the screen in the top right hand corner.

3) Yellowish tinge spreading down the right hand side of the screen.

4) Screen coming away from the phone in the top right hand corner.

5) Phone goes blank when calling (I assume this is due to the proximity sensor getting confused).

I get this would be difficult to test for, so I can understand why Sony might not have realised this...but refusing to accept this is a design fault and not providing some sort of solution for customers is rather short sighted.

Sony - surely there's enough people reporting this issue to acknowledge the design fault and investigate this further?