account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Device may be monitored?

SOLVED
Sony Xperia Support
Message 21 of 24
Message 21 of 24

Re: Device may be monitored?

So I finally received some information about this function and why some users experience this.

"A device may be monitored by a Device Administrator. In that case, the text "Device may be monitored" appears when you slide down the notification bar. If you tap the text it says "This device is managed by:", followed by the name of the Device Administrator. In some cases the Device Administrator name is replaced with the text "null". This is due to a software issue that we are working on. You can still check which Device Administrators are installed on your device, and choose to activate or deactivate them."

Android 5.0

To change settings for the Device Administrators

1. From your Home screen, tap the Settings screen icon.
  2. Find and tap Security > Device Administrators.
  3. Tap any Device Administrators to see which policies they want to enforce, or mark the checkbox to activate/deactivate the Device Administrators.
Message 22 of 24
Message 22 of 24

I had already tried those steps that you advised hoping to get rid of it, but the message remained. I assumed it was a bug, so it might be worth passing that on too.

The only way I managed to get rid of it was to restore my phone. Bit extreme I know, and I didn't really want to, but I knew that message would annoy me! I think restoring it also helped stop my screen brightness changing itself so often too.

Visitor
Message 23 of 24
Message 23 of 24

@curtis_mufc wrote:

I had already tried those steps that you advised hoping to get rid of it, but the message remained. I assumed it was a bug, so it might be worth passing that on too.

The only way I managed to get rid of it was to restore my phone. Bit extreme I know, and I didn't really want to, but I knew that message would annoy me! I think restoring it also helped stop my screen brightness changing itself so often too.

Glad you got it to go away, I've tried "Repairing" my phone using the PC Companion application, which actually downloads the latest update for the phone and performs a clean install, unfortunately the message remains there. Would you kindly let me know what kind of restore did you perform? Was it through the phone settings? Factory reset?

Thanks!

Message 24 of 24
Message 24 of 24

@Ali87 wrote:

@curtis_mufc wrote:

Glad you got it to go away, I've tried "Repairing" my phone using the PC Companion application, which actually downloads the latest update for the phone and performs a clean install, unfortunately the message remains there. Would you kindly let me know what kind of restore did you perform? Was it through the phone settings? Factory reset?

Thanks!

I did the repair option through PC companion, but it doesn't actually matter which way you do it to be honest, as I've also restored the phone through the phone settings.

The important part is to make sure you untick Protection by My Xperia when setting up your phone. It comes up just after logging into you Google account, and I think also after logging into your Sony account. You get three options which are all selected by default, and Protection by My Xperia is the third one. Leave the first two on and just deselect My Xperia.

I have Google's Android device manager activated on my phone and I don't get the message, so it is 100% caused by activating My Xperia (the location app, just to make it clear) when setting up your phone.

I hope this helps!