account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Cannot pull down status bar

Message 131 of 159
Message 131 of 159

Re: Cannot pull down status bar

LOL Add me to the list.

I have the D6616 model so it's stuck on Lollipop (5.0.2 -- don't get me started). Drop down menu stopped working in portrait about a month ago

Steps I've taken:

1. Performed software repair using Xperia Companion
  2. Ran screen diagnostic both from settings menu and phone test menu
  3. Tried drop down menu with and without glass screen protector

Any thoughts, or have we been orphaned by obsolescence?

Anguished Face

Message 132 of 159

Ok, after 10 minutes of intensive research, I found a solution that's working for me.

1. Download & install adb-tools (apt-get under ubuntu)

2. Set your phone in developper mode (multi tap on build number in the about the phone in the settings) and allow USB debugging in the developpers options.

3. Connect a usb cable between the phone and the PC, and accept the PC fingerprint on the phone

4. Launch the shell (or command line) on the PC then type these magic words :

adb shell wm overscan 0,10,0,0

10 is the number of the top dead pixels. 10 is working like a charm for me but you can test larger values. Change it as you wish.

Of course you'll lose 10 pixels of display but the notification bar will work again after.

Regards.

Learner
Message 133 of 159
Message 133 of 159

Hi lalmat,

I am not a tech idiot but also not very familiar with the terms you used.

I even do not have my phone rooted. This issue just started yesterday after updating my phone to 6.0.1. Would you suggest to root and conduct these steps or might there be another problem? I do not have a big issue with the notification bar, I just swipe in the middle of the screen twice (twice because nova launcher notification swipe and android 6 also have an issue). But the phone is starting to have its own life: swiping notification without my intention, not being able to delete letters while texting, back button does not work constantly...all of these come up from time to time.

Best regards

One time poster
Message 134 of 159
Message 134 of 159

Worked Great man. I had to decrease it to 30 though but it worked. Slightly smiling Face

Kw3
One time poster
Message 135 of 159
Message 135 of 159

I have the exact issue with android 6.0.1 on Z3 compact.
Sending phone for repair will be WAY too inconvenient for me as I don't live in the US. So I've now gotten accustomed to rotating to landscape in order to access the notifications.
But there IS a bug there
One time poster
Message 136 of 159
Message 136 of 159

Screen Unresponsive : notification bar, back button and some keyboard keys not working

Hi Sony,

I think the screen is not so responsive. Is there a function of calibrating your screen? I just noticed that the notification bar could not be pulled down on the home but can be pulled down when on lock screen, so i think this is not a screen problem. Also, back button and home botton at the bottom is hard to press. It doesn't push thru some times. On the keyboard, some letters are not working. I needed to use a one-handed keyboard and switch it from side to side to select some of the letters.

Could you help me with these issues? Thanks in advance.

One time poster
Message 137 of 159
Message 137 of 159

Just started to have this problem on my Z3 compact.

I am sure what started it was selecting the double screen tap to wake the phone instead of the power button after it was suggested by an Xperia tip popping up. Seemed like a good idea as my in car phone holder clamp covers the power button and is tricky if I want to wake the phone for some reason.  Pretty much as soon as I enabled the double screen tap I noticed that I could not swipe the notification bar down or the second swipe for the status/control bar to turn WiFi etc on and off.  I disabled the double screen tap, but the notification bar still would not work as it did.  Definitely behaves like a software problem. Something got written to when enabling double screen tap, disabling the top of the screen but it is not changed back when disabling double tap.

As other posts have said, the notification bar works OK when in landscape mode, but I have to be in an app or a power cradle for that. Works OK on the lock screen so it is not a hardware problem.  Not tried to fix it yet, could be a good excuse to get a new phone, had this one a long time, like it though.

Visitor
Message 138 of 159
Message 138 of 159

Do you have any solution for the camera app bro?

cuz this command "adb shell wm overscan 0,..,0,0" can't effective to the camera app Slightly frowning Face

If you have any idea, plz share with me.

Thank you so much bro.

One time poster
Message 139 of 159
Message 139 of 159

I got the same issue on my z3+. I've noticed that when activating development options and show touches and pointer location it's obvious that the cursor never fires in the notification bar area when in portrait mode.

Really annoying. I hope we can get a fix soon.
Visitor
Message 140 of 159
Message 140 of 159

hi there,Rookie,

Even i am from India, Did u find an resolution to this issue of status bar not pulling down, as i just ran into the same issue and sony service center says i need to replace the display and says i need to pay RS.13000, any help or info from you wil be of much help and appreciated. 

(Below is what i wrote on form and waiting for reply but i see they sent the same trouble shooting reply to all)

Hi Sony Team,

Even i have been facing the same issue and i had visited the repair center and i was told to spen RS.13000 to fix the phone.(they say replacing the complete screen is the only way to fix stating the touch might have an issue,when i explained it works fine when it is locked and in landscape mode it only whn i unlock, in portraid mode it does not work. plus i had a issue whr the power and volume up down button had got jammed all of a sudden not sure why,they tel me to fix that issue i need to replace the comple screen as it is a complete board it cannot be fixed saperate,being a lil technically litrate guy i can easily tell no buttons are connected directly to screen or display, THEN WHY DO THEY TRY TO MAKE A FOOL OUT OF THEIR CUSTOMERS. LET ME TELL U I AM A BIG FANBOY OF SONY AND NOW I AM FEELING I HAVE MADE A WRONG DECISION.