account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Black screen, after making a call

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

Black screen, after making a call

When I make a call on my Xperia Z3 the screen go black emidiatly, before take it to the ear. The same happen went someone call me and I pick up.
Any sagestion for the problem?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Re: Black screen, after making a call

Hi @DimitarT,

Welcome to the community.

As alexdon suggested the most common reason for this is a screen protector or cover interferring with the proximity sensor. You can test the proximity sensor in Settings > About Phone > Diagnostics > Test > Proximity Sensor.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

Do you have a screen protector? Usually if they aren't applied correctly or if they are thicker this can occur. Also, any kind of covers?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Hi @DimitarT,

Welcome to the community.

As alexdon suggested the most common reason for this is a screen protector or cover interferring with the proximity sensor. You can test the proximity sensor in Settings > About Phone > Diagnostics > Test > Proximity Sensor.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

HI. Thanks for the greetings CameronT.

Yes, my phone have a screen protector and it is not perfectly applied. Thank you for the advice. I will try and perform the test of proximity sensor.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

@DimitarT, Have you been able to test this yet?

Apprentice
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

Yes, I perform the test. The result was that the sensor is aways on. I tried to do the test again in the service menu, but the result was the same. I suppose the reason really is the screen protector and after changing it everything will be OK. Thank you for your help!
Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

@DimitarT, Great! Slightly smiling Face. If you want to be 100% sure but don't want to completely remove your screen protector yet, you can peel back the screen protector at the top and check if it works correctly.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

Thanks. Soon as I can, will try to do it.
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

In case this helps someone else, I have been experiencing the same problem recently with my Z3 - the screen goes black when making a phone call and does not turn back on again when removing the phone from my ear. This makes it impossible to use services that give menu options.

In my case, the problem is that the screen is coming away slightly at the top, so I have found that I can get around the problem by gently squeezing the screen when I need to access a menu or hang up.

I haven't tried fixing the issue by glueing the screen back on, as I don't want to mess up the phone permanently, but brave people might wish to consider it.

I hope this helps.
One time poster
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

So if the screen protector is interferring is the most common reason, what are your thoughts on more uncommon reasons?

I have the same problem, the screen going black, and according to the diagnostics the sensor should be working fine but still it goes black. Not every time, but maybe 4 out of 5 times.

I could resiously need some help, it's a real problem to not be able to hang up...

Thank you in advance!