account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Battery EXPANDING

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Battery EXPANDING

My z3 phone battery started to expand yesterday and swollen to the point where the back of my phone has come away - can someone point in the direction of some help , as the email said they will get back in 48 hours and support live chat is not working :/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pioneer
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Battery EXPANDING

Hi @HuskyDoggo,

STOP USING YOUR SMARTPHONE!

Turn your smartphone OFF and disconnect it from external power (i.e. the charger) IMMEDIATELY!

An "expanding" battery or housing/case is a pretty good sign that the battery is faulty... This means that the smartphone is unsafe to use, and there is a high risk of the battery catching fire or exploding!

All you can do now is wait for Sony Customer Care to respond.

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
6 REPLIES 6
Pioneer
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Hi @HuskyDoggo,

STOP USING YOUR SMARTPHONE!

Turn your smartphone OFF and disconnect it from external power (i.e. the charger) IMMEDIATELY!

An "expanding" battery or housing/case is a pretty good sign that the battery is faulty... This means that the smartphone is unsafe to use, and there is a high risk of the battery catching fire or exploding!

All you can do now is wait for Sony Customer Care to respond.

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Visitor
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

I did  stop using when i realised and placed in a place where if id does explode no major damage would be caused, its more the lack of support I’m getting which made me message :/

Pioneer
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@HuskyDoggo wrote:

I did  stop using when i realised and placed in a place where if id does explode no major damage would be caused,

That's great to hear, @HuskyDoggo!

You would be surprised at how many people don't have the common sense to do this... In these forums, in Real Life and in other forums, all too often I se people continue to use faulty batteries - and it doesn't always end well.

Anyway, I'm sure Sony will get back to you as soon as possible... They're probably just a little busy at the moment, but you won't be forgotten about.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Hello Husky, sorry for bargin in.

Hello Gregory,

I've run into the exact same issue with my Z3 Compact. Unfortunately my phone has about 1 year and 5 months of use, so it's out of warranty. Nevertheless, contacted  Sony local support in my country, because being a power user of smartphone for a long time, since the Palm Treo, having owned about 10 or more Smartphones and 4 of them being Sony, and all of them (believe it or not) still being operational I have never experienced anything like this. What led me to believe it was an isolated case of a faulty battery. 

Regretfully, what I got was a big no as a response. They won't even analyse the phone.

Do you think ther is anything else to be done, or this is it? Send it to an Authorized Repair Agent and pay to analyse it and maybe fix it, or scrap it and that's that.

Sorry for the long post, but I really liked your proactiveness and response to Husky on this topic.

Thanks,

Daniel

Pioneer
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi @dbarreto,

If an Authorized Repair Center will not fix the smartphone, then it's best to simply dispose of your smartphone... You can keep using it if you want, but I would strongly recommend against doing so because there is a possibility of the battery exploding, which is never a good thing.

Learner
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Absolutely, will probably end up doing that.

Thank you for the quick input!