account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Apps on sd card lost after software repair

SOLVED
Adept
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Apps on sd card lost after software repair

I moved my some apps to the sd card. When I reboot my phone may I be able to carry them to my phone or its just one way. Thanks

Topic edited by Rickard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Re: sd card

If you perform a master reset or a software repair you will also lose apps that have been moved to the external SD card. When you move an app to the SD card, Android only moves the APK-file. Some parts of the app is still stored on the internal memory and is lost when you reset your phone. I believe Android also generates a device-specific key and encrypts the files when you move an app to the SD card so the old files can no longer be read even if they are still there.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

You can move apps both ways, to and from, SD card.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Adept
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

But I can't see the apps that I have moved to the sd card. How am I going to be able to carry them back to my phone. Thanks
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

How did you move them? From Settings -> Apps? Or by some other means?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
Adept
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

From settings, apps, move to the sd card
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

If you moved them through Settings -> Apps, you should still find them in the same place with option to move them back on phone.

Adept
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Now I repaired my phone I can't find them on sd card or I go settings apps and on sd card still nothing I am stucked.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

If you perform a master reset or a software repair you will also lose apps that have been moved to the external SD card. When you move an app to the SD card, Android only moves the APK-file. Some parts of the app is still stored on the internal memory and is lost when you reset your phone. I believe Android also generates a device-specific key and encrypts the files when you move an app to the SD card so the old files can no longer be read even if they are still there.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adept
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Re: Apps on sd card lost after software repair

So I have to download them from play store all over again I guess.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Re: Apps on sd card lost after software repair

Yes, i'm afraid you will need to download your apps again.