account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 Tablet speed of SD card

Adviser
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Z3 Tablet speed of SD card

Hi Sony Users

I have just bought a Sony Z3 Tablet and have noted a very SLOW result when testing the micro SD card access. 

Using A1 SD Bench I get only 17Mbps read and 16Mbps write using a Sandisk micro SD card that is rated at 90Mbps read /60Mbps write.  (Another program confirms the same speed)

The same micro SD card performans admirably in my Z1 Phone, over 40mbps read and right and the Z1 had an older memory controller so I'm stumped to why the Z3 is so slow.  Have tried two other ones same result too.

Could it be the forced Android 6.0 update that applied by itself that slowed down the interface?

Anyway wondering what other people are getting with their high speed microSD cards and whether this performance situation is typical of the Z3 tablet or possibly a result of the firmware update.

Sony seems to be going backwards these days (support couldn't even give me a straight answer here on way or another) so maybe its just a cheap nasty tablet and they don't want people to know?

Anyway please post your speeds!! Mine is the SGP611 encase they differ in code, android 6.0.1.

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Z3 Tablet speed of SD card

You should take into consideration any software interferences. Did you test that SD card on the same set of apps installed on Z1 phone and Z3 tablet? If it is ok with you, perform a factory reset or better a software repair using Xperia Companion on your tablet to eliminate any software issues.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

I too have SGP611 and don't suffer any issues with my sd speeds, my 128gb sandisk reads at ~50 and writes at ~23 which is a bit below the 60MB/35MB advertised but not by much and is more than enough.
What file system do you use?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

hi

My approach here as always is to install the bench marking application as the first application to install on any new device. e..g once the play store is activated its number 1 app to install.  So the device is as vanilla as humanly possible. 

The Z1 still reports well above 40Mbps in both directions even now bloated with software so the Z3 tablet I have is vastly slower.

Adviser
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

hi viridis

Thanks for the results. Mine willl be exfat as I'm careful now to avoid fat.  What OS version would you be on? (I'm suspecting the 6.0.1 update might be at fault)

thanks for posting by the way! at least confirms one person can get faster speeds with a slower card than mine.

I suspect your speed aligns to the idea that the interface will be a little slower than the cards best speed.  There will be a speed cap somewhere.. e..g Z1 cannot exceed about 42mbps read and 38mbps write from what I have seen and read no matter how fast the card so the Z3 should have a cap somewhere higher given its newer. at least common sense suggests that..  What I'm getting is just wrong.

Quester how about you also post your speeds, os and card type?

Adviser
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

any way to bump this thread.  Keen on responses with some further data.