account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Apps killed in background

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Apps killed in background

I've noticed from Lollipop to Marshmallow that apps seems to shut down when they are in the background. e.g., playing Star Wars GoH on Lollipop would not shut the app down when I go to another app (it does when numerous apps are open). But now, in Marshmallow just opening the browser or receiving a call from FB Messenger causes the SWGoH to restart from the background. I've never changed the standard limit in dev options. Did Sony reduce the resources used in background apps to speed up the device? Thanks for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emperor
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Re: Apps killed in background

@akosiJD

It's not about the number of apps, it's about how much RAM they use, I can have multiple games open and I can switch from one to another w/o them reseting, but other times they do reset, sometimes I have other background apps/services running so Android has to free up RAM by closing some apps/games.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

4 REPLIES 4
Emperor
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

@akosiJD

That's not Sony but Android, that's how it, Android, free up RAM. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply @uliwooly

But will increasing the limit to 3 apps make any difference?

Emperor
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

@akosiJD

It's not about the number of apps, it's about how much RAM they use, I can have multiple games open and I can switch from one to another w/o them reseting, but other times they do reset, sometimes I have other background apps/services running so Android has to free up RAM by closing some apps/games.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Thanks. I finally understand it. OS automatically kills apps to free RAM to avoid software issues.