account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

black Screen on camera

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 21 of 93
Message 21 of 93

Re: black Screen on camera

I hay te same problem With Xperia z5 compact.
One time poster
Message 22 of 93
Message 22 of 93

I have the same issue with my Z3 compact. The issue started happening on the 11th month of my one year warranty, I sent it for repair (14 business days y + shipping time back and forth). It came back with the same issue. Sent it back right away. After another three weeks without my phone, I got it back. Guess what? EXACT SAME ISSUE!

I called their support line explaining what happened, the guy told me that there is nothing they can do about it since my warranty expired. Of course they didn't have in consideration that I sent my phone before it expired and it took about seven weeks back and forth. There wasn't any sort of damage on my phone, was never dropped or damaged in any way, I never submerged it even if in theory, that would be ok. The report said "it has reviewed the functioning of the unit, unfortunately the defect is in the PCB so it is not able to undergo repairs to it."

The guy on the phone told me what he thought the report meant. It means there is damage on the main board(not caused by me) and the one year warranty manufacturer warranty department won't repair it. Maybe, if I had bought the 2 year "extended" warranty, they could do something about it. I asked if the issue is that my one year warranty was expired or if it is something that they just don't fix unless you get the "extended" warranty. He couldn't answer me and the only thing he said was "is there anything else I can help you with?"

From what I understood, there are two completely different departments, the one year manufacturer warranty that only cover some things. Not even sure what, because if it's broken screen, water damage or any physical abuse, they won't fix it. If it's a problem with the main board or PCB, they won't fix it either. It is a mystery to me what gets fixed in that department. The other department is the 2 year extended warranty. I'm not sure what they are willing to fix there, but from what they guy on the phone told me, it's more than the one year regular warranty.

Long story short, after two trips to FedEx, at least 8 hours total on phone calls, more than 7 weeks without my phone, I ended where I started. Sorry Sony, never again. Worst customer support I have ever experienced.
One time poster
Message 23 of 93
Message 23 of 93

I have the same issue. It happened 3 days ago. Our local service center won't honor my warranty since it was purchased online. Service center already tried to replace with a new camera and software reset but still the problem persist. The last action they can do is a main board replacement which would cost me almost a brand new phone.

I hope Sony can answer this Slightly frowning Face
Learner
Message 24 of 93
Message 24 of 93

Same problem and my phone has two days of life.
Did someone fix the problem? It's because of the upgrade to Lollipop 5.1.1?

One time poster
Message 25 of 93
Message 25 of 93

My Z3 just exhibited the exact same symptoms. Black screen on any camera app and in diagnostics. That, in addition to reading this thread, plus one spontaneously cracked screen has helped me decide: Never a Sony again. Too bad.
One time poster
Message 26 of 93
Message 26 of 93

My z3 screen just cracked on its own not dropped,replaced the screen cracked again in two places now doing the whole black screen during class and now the camera also. Worst phone ever
One time poster
Message 27 of 93
Message 27 of 93

Same Problem: black Screen when starting camera, buttons still visible. Flash only stops with a restart of the Phone.
Repair tool didnt work. Format and reset of the phone didnt Help. Just out of warranty.
It seems that this Problem appears quite Common. Is there any serious help meanwhile from the side of Sony?

Why is the thread marked with solved anyway?
Rookie
Message 28 of 93
Message 28 of 93

I have the exact same problem, camera is black but buttons still visible and when i turn on my flashlight it wont come off until i restart my phone. I hope this gets solved with Marshmallow update otherwise wont buy Sony phones ever.

One time poster
Message 29 of 93
Message 29 of 93

Hey,

Did the update to marshmallow fixed it?

Rookie
Message 30 of 93
Message 30 of 93

Nothing fixed it. By Now, as a Cool desing phone, i use it as a paperweight. Using moto x play right Now. Great phone, too big, great camera.