account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 compact user in 2019

Emperor
Message 21 of 34
Message 21 of 34

Re: Z3 compact user in 2019

@xperiafan8 

sure thing, could you share more info, is it low light, indoors low light, etc

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 22 of 34
Message 22 of 34

Well mostly it is indoor when light isnt very good and i am trying to take photo of for instance text on a laptop power suply. Flash is kind of strange on this phone, much weaker than flash on s4 mini and samsung alpha. Also it seems to kick in everytime even when i feel like there is enough light. I really like to take detailed photos of some electronic components, etc. I have it on manual 15.5MP (16:9 i like). 

Emperor
Message 23 of 34
Message 23 of 34

@xperiafan8 

Open the camera > turn off the flash > point the camera to the object (electronic) > tap on the screen so the camera will focus on that > half press the camera button (physical button) > once you think it looks good (focus and color) > press it all the way.

that's one of the advantage of Sony phones, the physical camera button, it helps a lot. 

An example, you could use HDR but if mix both HDR and this following suggestion you get great pictures 

if you have a bright background, you could use HDR tap on the object you want the camera to focus, which otherwise will be a bright background and a silhouette (you could use flash but I hardly ever use flash) 

or 

You could lower the camera pointing toward the floor > half press the camera button so it will lock focus > don't release the button > point the phone to the object > snap the picture (press the camera button all the way) if it's too light point half way from the object and were you focused earlier until you have the desired detailed. 

I hope it makes sense

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 24 of 34
Message 24 of 34

Thank you for your reply, i will play with the camera and see how it goes. Overall i am happy with the phone, i am kind of getting used to it and once i make it less slippery with epoxy, i will be even happier. I will point out few things here though that kind of bother me, maybe there is a solution or maybe not:
Things i dont like:

1) notification bar where i quickly change things like wifi, bluetooth, silent ... I prefer samsung with its big icons. And here i have to tap twice to get wifi and other settings. First i just get notification bar, then i have to click again to pull it down and only then i can turn on wifi for instance

2) To put phone into silent mode for the night, samsung it only takes 1 click, here i have to click, interface opens and only then i can select be silent for the night, except alarms

3) Camera interface: samsung, its much easier to switch between video and pictures

4) when i plug the phone in, i have to click on my phone before i can access its files. Its not much but still its an extra click

5) flashlight widget is missing. And now i have to use app where i click on it and have to wait for like 5 seconds before flash turns on. I use flashlight often so it bothers me

6) flashlight is very weak compared to s4 mini and samsung alpha

7) phone call history - at samsung it includes sms so its really cool to see all your history of calls and sms and u can quickly respond to them. Also its easier to add new numbers into phone book

8) i prefer samsung alarm thingy. Also in general, there is more options at samsung. For instance i could set sms delay which was very usefull since i sometimes write typos and only see them after sms i sent

9) i prefer samsung interface. I dont know if its because i am used to it or because it is better. But right now it just seems so much better and many neat options are included

10) still very slippery but will solve that with epoxy
THINGS I LIKE:

1) Obviously with 4x 2.5Ghz it is very very fast. Could be faster sometimes in interface but its fine

2) really fast read speeds. This is awesome when i transfer pics/videos from internal memory. Its read speed is about 200mb/s and write is 40mb/s

3) 1 thing i really like is that when i open DCIM folder on internal memory, right away i get thumbnails of all pictures and videos. This is extremely awesome and usefull, on s4 mini and even samsung alpha, when i open DCIM, i have to wait for it to show me thumbnails 1 by 1, it takes many many seconds when i have lots of pictures

4) smaller screen than samsung alpha - its really usefull and much easier to handle than alpha

5) less bloatware then alpha, still to much for my taste, but i disabled many things so its fine

6) obviously the only reason i use z3 compact is to get used to xperia dimension and interface. It is all because i plan to get xz1 compact. Otherwise i would use samsung alpha but the thing is that samsung alpha is a dead end. I would have no other samsung phone to go to from samsung alpha while with sony, i have xz1 compact to go to in the future

Adviser
Message 25 of 34
Message 25 of 34

Btw can u tell me how u set the following settings:

1) focus mode (i have it at touch focus now)
2) metering (i have it at multi now)
3) any other options worth changing ?

Emperor
Message 26 of 34
Message 26 of 34

@xperiafan8 

How about if you pull down the notification bar > look for the pencil icon at the top next to the gear icon > now you can add or remove settings from it, you can add do not disturb or flashlight to the pull down bar. 

I totally agree with the switch between manual and video, it's just annoying, and worst if you go from Manual to Panoramic

There's a trick to switch fast

open the camera > go to Panoramic > press the home button to exit > open the camera app again > switch to Manual > press the bottom right icon to switch from apps, now you have Panorama and Manual mode/video cameras to switch 

When this Camera UI was released I wrote about how horrible it was and to make it worst, shortcut widgets were removed. This has been addressed with the new camera UI, sadly it's not available on this Xperia family

Adviser
Message 27 of 34
Message 27 of 34

Would you share your settings with me ? I dont know if i have it set the best as possible:

1) focus mode (i have it at touch focus now)
2) metering (i have it at multi now)
3) any other options worth changing ?

Emperor
Message 28 of 34
Message 28 of 34

@xperiafan8 

HDR on if you have bright backgrounds/foregrounds 

Adviser
Message 29 of 34
Message 29 of 34

I just wanted to say that i am getting used to the phone and while samsung interface still seems better, i am getting used to it and also the size of the phone. This is all good because z3 compact is only a transition phone to my final goal - xz1 compact

Emperor
Message 30 of 34
Message 30 of 34

@xperiafan8 

I'm glad to hear that, Sony's UI it's the closest to vanilla Android (nexus/pixel devices)