account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 compact user in 2019

Adviser
Message 11 of 34
Message 11 of 34

Re: Z3 compact user in 2019

Thank you, ordered it and another different one. Its cheap on ebay anyway and i got the phone very cheap also (30€, i even think i can sell my old s4 mini for that). 

I have more questions about the camera. 

1) manual is the way to go as far as i gathered ?
2) what resolution do u advice me to use ? I prefer 16:9 to 4:3, would 15.5MP be ok ?
3) what other settings should i use ? What kind of metering, etc ?
4) when in low light, what settings should i use, manual or auto ?
5) any other advices about camera ?

Adviser
Message 12 of 34
Message 12 of 34

Well i have to say i am not impressed with the camera, but i knew that before buying the phone. I am thinking whether i could improve it with some settings. It is very bad at taking photo of bright or dark objects. If i try to take a photo of another phones screen, it will make the picture completely dark/black. Its flash is very weak and kind of makes some images completely bright. 

My ultimate goal is XZ1 compact, that is why i bought Z3 compact - to get used to the xperia phone while i wait for XZ1 compact second handed price to go down. I am wondering, is there any sense to switch from Z3 compact to Z5 compact or X compact, or go directly to XZ1 compact ? Is camera on Z5 compact and X compact any better than Z3 compact ?

Emperor
Message 13 of 34
Message 13 of 34

@xperiafan8 

You should skip them and go directly to the XZ1

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 14 of 34
Message 14 of 34

@xperiafan8 

1) indeed manual settings are the way to go 

2) 16:9, that way you can always frop the photo or leave it as is

3) it depend on the situation but with regular light/sunlight you can go with:

HDR on (ISO will be set to auto) 

Resolution 8MP 16:9

Metering Spot 

Focus mode Touch focus

4) in low settings I still prefer to use manual > scn > night scene or high sensitivity 

5) keep trying it in different conditions and light sources 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 15 of 34
Message 15 of 34

I would skip z5 compact and x compact, but sadly xz1 prices are still way to high for me. I will see what to do, maybe go to Z5 and X compact, and earn like 10 bucks selling them and add that money to xz1 compact budget. 

Is there any history of screen problems in camera UI with Z3 compact ? Occasinaly (basicly only 2 times so far) i had some artifact/screen tearing in camera and it also kind of locked up when taking a photo. The next time it happens i might video record it with another phone.
Adviser
Message 16 of 34
Message 16 of 34

I have to hang on to Z3 compact, even though it feels so unbelievably unnatural in my hands compared to small s4 mini. But basicly this is the only chance if i want better hardware/camera, get used to z3 compact and wait for xz1 prices to drop

Emperor
Message 17 of 34
Message 17 of 34

@xperiafan8 

next time you have an issue do capture it somehow and try to remember which apps were running 

Adviser
Message 18 of 34
Message 18 of 34

Btw i got today some silicone cases for samsung alpha and they are very bad. Make the phone even bigger and dont add much to being less slippery. I bought some silicone and will try to make z3 compact less slippery. 

Emperor
Message 19 of 34
Message 19 of 34

@xperiafan8 

silicone cases are cheap, if your case its slippery you could sand the back a little bit to add texture, I know you shouldn't go to that extend but it might do the trick

Adviser
Message 20 of 34
Message 20 of 34

I tested many things and while bathroom silicone makes good grip, its useless because it peels off. I did notice though that epoxy 2 component glue makes for a very sticky surface. I am even playing with the idea of mixing epoxy with some aluminum dust to make some nice cover in combination with white phone. 

I could use some advices regarding camera though because so far it really isnt very good. Maybe some settings i could change in manual, like metering, etc. ?