account arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-down

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z3 compact mine now! Options...

Highlighted
Adept
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Z3 compact mine now! Options...

So my 2 yr contract is up and I love Sony's phones so wanting to either keep the z3 compact. It's better than the X and from what I've seen online the Z5 compact is not available now fir upgrade.

So I've had z3 fir 2 years, it works OK, does it have a lifespan, could it go on a few years more? Getting the X is a backward step so am wondering if my z3 compact can continue another few years on sim only.

Cheers
11 REPLIES
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Z3 compact mine now! Options...

Hi @ruprecht,

The Z3 should last you some time barring any physical damage. Eventually the battery will fail, as is the nature of Li-ion batteries. Your local support team should be able to arrange a repair if this happens.

- Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adept
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

I had to make the same decision. After 2 years usage I was still very satisfied with my Z3 compact, now running Android 6.01. Also the battery is still ok. So, no need for another phone... Because I was not sure if I would keep the phone another 2 years (also with the battery in mind), I decided to continue with the same provider on SIM only for one year. It was a very small difference in costs, compared with SIM only 2 years.

After one more year with this excellent phone, I will consider again the options and make a new decision.

Greetz

Adept
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Thanks. The little issues the phone has are the swipe down from the top I can only do from top left corner, occasionally the button that turns flash off and on in camera turns on front camera and battery drops differently from full charge.
Are these bad signs?

It seems daft to go into another contract to buy another phone as soon as I've just paid this one up and I don't think the Vodafone shop still stocks the Z5 compact.

Thanks
Adept
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

I don't recognize the issues with swiping from the top or the flash button, and I can't tell you wether these could be bad signs...

The battery dropping differently from full charge is known to me. My guess is that this possibly depends on certain apps which stay active in memory, and give a different decharging curve. Also it can happen if your phone is struggling to catch your provider's signal in certain areas. It's no bad sign to me. Try to reboot your phone after a full charge and see what happens then.

There are lots of people that can't wait to get a new phone every year (or even sooner). I think the number of features don't change that much recently. Of course there will be a moment when the Z3 won't get any Android update anymore, but I would be quite happy to use this phone for one or two more years.

Greetz

Adept
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

OK many thanks, I've uninstalled all apps I don't use to to see if this helps, I did have an anti virus app running but it was super draining the battery and I hear android doesn't need a 3rd party app although I use the pre-installed Avg.

I haven't had an android update in ages so maybe it's still up to date, what is the current one?
I'll do the test and report back. Cheers.
Adept
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Dropdown menu stopped working unless rotated

Hi
When I swipe down from top of screen to get quick options like flashlight, airplane mode etc it don't work anymore, only if I rotate the phone. It does work in basic screen with big clock but not after I've swiped up to home screen.
Help please
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Re: Dropdown menu stopped working unless rotated

HI @ruprecht,

I am sorry to hear about this. Can you please test the touch screen by going to Settings > About Phone > Diagnostics > Test. See if there are any areas that you can not clear away or ar not detecting your touch.

- Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adept
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Hi, yes I did diagnosis test and all seems OK. It's just started happening out of the blue.
As I say it the Dropdown menu works when I rotate the phone. Typical as I just made decision to keep phone.
Help appreciated
Rup
Adept
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

P.s
Not sure if should start new topic for my current phone issue as this thread includes a few other issues.

Also, the Dropdown menu initially worked if I swiped down in top left corner then yesterday early it swiped down perfect then last night it failed.