account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Z3 compact discharged and won't charge or boot

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Z3 compact discharged and won't charge or boot

Hi,

After ~2 years of really proper functionning and good care (never wet nor put in water, always in hard folding case), my Z3 compact stopped responding.

This morning, my battery was 100%. At noon, everything was alright. This afternoon, my battery suddenly dropped to 7%, so I rebooted it (in case of failing app) and set it to flight mode in order to be able to make a call in case of emergency. Unfortunately, when I tried to use it (~2 hours later), it was off.

Arriving home....

- I tried the magnetic with Sony charger => No charge/No LED

- I tried the USB with Sony charger => Red led, but no boot with power button

> Volume down + power > 15 sec. => No change

> Yellow SIM button => No change

- I tried with another USB charger => Red led but no boot

- I let it charge more than 3 hours on USB => no change, still Red, no boot

What can I try to make it work again ? Slightly frowning Face I was just getting into holidays tomorrow, so unlucky.

Thank you for your help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Re: Z3 compact discharged and won't charge or boot

Hi again,

It appears that I went to a repair shop and they just opened it, cleaned the electronic contacts on the power circuit and everything went well, for "only" 20 €. My battery is "new" as before, and don't have any problem.

My only concern is : if the phone is supposed to be IP67, how did the oxydation/dust come in my electronic contacts... ?

5 REPLIES 5
Learner
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Buy Samsung :/ Sony z3 compact is afflicted wit some hardware bug that Sony will not aknowledge. Look for "Xperia Z3 compact sudden death" :/ I will never again buy anything from Sony Nerd Face

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi again,

It appears that I went to a repair shop and they just opened it, cleaned the electronic contacts on the power circuit and everything went well, for "only" 20 €. My battery is "new" as before, and don't have any problem.

My only concern is : if the phone is supposed to be IP67, how did the oxydation/dust come in my electronic contacts... ?

Genius
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@Ze_Bast your last question is legit, the Z3c is indeed ip67 but the time will render flaps and protections not suitable anymore to offer such certification. I have 2 Z3c and battery never fails in them but I am sure that the waterproofing is long gone after almost 3 years,  due to wear and tear.. It's absolutely normal. 

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Apprentice
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

@Yogem, except that I never used the USB charger, only the magnet one, until the malfunction... So there may be something else that fails in the protection... ?

One time poster
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Sony Xperia Z3 compact won't boot

Hi, everyone! I have a problem with my two years old Z3 compact. Few days ago I've noticed that the phone battery drains too fast: full-charged battery dropped to 40% during night at idle state. After few days phone just turned off and I couldn't turn it on. I've replaced the battery with a new one, the phone turned on, but after 5 hours it totaly drained the battery and not turning on again. So looks like the battery isn't the problem. I run out of ideas, does anybody know how to fix this?