account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Z3 Compact screen cracked 2 days after purchase - dropped from a stool on vibrating

One time poster
Message 121 of 194
Message 121 of 194

Re: Z3 COMPACT SCREEN CRACKED 2 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE - DROPPED FROM A STOOL ON VIBRATING!!

Wish I would have read this message board before buying the Sony Xperia z3 compact!!

I have had the same problem with the back case smashing. Sent an email to Sony and they have completely dismissed any problem with the quality of the phone and also said they have never had a complaint about This.. Such bull so I sent them a link to this message board, let's see what they have to say now.

Really not happy with the quality of customer service with Sony been an apple customer and thought I would give Sony a try worst mistake I've made!! apple would have had this problem sorted!!

Think Sony needs legal action taken against them then they might sort it out!!
One time poster
Message 122 of 194
Message 122 of 194

Re: Z3 COMPACT SCREEN CRACKED 2 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE - DROPPED FROM A STOOL ON VIBRATING!!

http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/05/30/bbcs-watchdog-investigates-xperia-z1-cracking-screen-issue-sony... for all those affected by the screen cracking issue.. help is at hand.. but not from sony who will only try to find a reason to void your guarantee, further damage your phone, and then tell you to get lost basically. lost all respect for what used to be my favourite electronics brand yesterday. sad, but i will never touch another sony product as long as i live!

Highlighted
Learner
Message 123 of 194
Message 123 of 194

I only had my new phone less than 2weeks had on charging station phone heated up shut off and the back screen cracked. Sony was no help and Verizon wants to charge me to fix phone and also blamed the charging station which i purchased from them. Wish I i saw reviews. Very unhappy with Sony and of course Verizon worst customer services.
One time poster
Message 124 of 194
Message 124 of 194

Left a new phone on charger overnight and in the morning a single crack from top to bottom appeared rendering the whole right side of the screen un-usable, couldn't even turn the phone off!   Sony happy to fix it for $300 AUD+  postage accpeted no responsiblity.  This is a very fragile phone and local changes in temperature appear to cause cracks.  I have put it back in the box and am using my much tougher Samsung Galaxy Note 2 until the repair prices for glass becomes more reasonable.

One time poster
Message 125 of 194
Message 125 of 194

Have replaced back glass 5 times in 8 months, buying from Aliexpress, so fed up with Xperia Care. I do not want to send my phone here and there not knowing whether it will be warranty or not. 5-10 days leadtime would mean no phone for at least one month in total...

Last week the proximity sensor stopped working, turns out that the front glass has started to come off as well. Will try to replace adhesive.

An excellent phone, unfortunately poor design and build quality has ruined it. No more Sonys for me...
Apprentice
Message 126 of 194
Message 126 of 194

Hi, just an update regarding pricing. Sony did a new screen and case for £109.  More than the on-phone estimate of £90 but still much better than independent places, who were quoting £140-180 just for a new screen.

Learner
Message 127 of 194
Message 127 of 194

Had this brilliant phone (still on kitkat) for 3 weeks, and woke up yesterday morning with my backscreen completely shattered. Hadn't been charging or dropped. Just been on my bedside table. The pattern is out of this world, see attached photo.

My Snapshot1.jpg

I got it with Vodafone UK and also have full insurance on it. However, this seems to be either an unlucky device or manufacturing/quality fault to me. Shall go back to Vodafone this evening to see what will be done.

Anyone else had this particularly type of crack happen, and happening without being dropped or similar?

Learner
Message 128 of 194
Message 128 of 194

So got response from Vodafone (in store) that it would not be treated as a manufacturing fault. However, the second clerk said thath screen breaking was a known fault, so they suggested speaking to customer service first and also sony.

Sony took my details after calling a number that was related to a UK watchdog program in May 2014. They said I could send the phone in for repair (but again, not sure if that would mean that I would need to pay or not).

What is frustrating is that I'm feeling quite dismayed about getting it repaired with a like for like glass piece as it feels like it will most likely happen again.

Can one ask sony to replace it with a hard cover, or different part? Similarly, how does one go about proving manufacturing fault in terms of glass screens, as they are all dismissal for being user faults?

Last but not least, spoke to a sony developer based in Lund, Sweden and he also confirmed to me that he was surprised Sony still hadn't fixed this issues since the original z series. It is a known issue even in their own developer community.

Visitor
Message 129 of 194
Message 129 of 194

I sent my Xperia to Sony on Saturday after crack appeared on the screen without me touching it. I was on the table in front of me, next thing I hear this tiny noise which I didn't really paid attention that moment and when I picked my phone to check news, crack over the screen and none responding phone. Really disappointed especially when my husband and brother both have Sony and "abuse" their phones on daily basis and I who is carefull will be probably told that it was my fault. I am prepared to fight my corner, in worst scenario I will get it repaired through insurance but do not wish to do that as that phone is basically faulty. Well wish me luck.

Visitor
Message 130 of 194
Message 130 of 194

My brother and hubby both have Sony and they totally abuse the phones and they are fine. Mine has cracked itself so it will be even more frustrarting if Sony refuses to repair this free of charge (just sent it off to them and using my very old Blackerry). I am only worried that this is a faulty phone and after the repair it will happen again :-(