account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 Compact screen cracked 2 days after purchase - dropped from a stool on vibrating

Learner
Message 61 of 194
Message 61 of 194

Re: Z3 COMPACT SCREEN CRACKED 2 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE - DROPPED FROM A STOOL ON VIBRATING!!

Got a reply, Sony have advised that I send it to Fonebiz their local service agent. No indication of costs but they do say it will be assessed by Fonebiz.
I'm interstate seeing family but will send it off on Monday when I get home.
Rookie
Message 62 of 194
Message 62 of 194

Re: Z3 COMPACT SCREEN CRACKED 2 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE - DROPPED FROM A STOOL ON VIBRATING!!

Similar thing happened to me though I didn't drop it. Now Ill have to pay 159 € because the damage ist not covered by the warranty. Apart from that apparent engineering flaw which sony won't recognize the phone is great. Shame that I can't say the same about the customer service. I remember how Apple used swap the topcase of my white Macbook years after the warranty expired.

One time poster
Message 63 of 194
Message 63 of 194

I had the same problem exept I never dropped it, after having the phone for only one week, was lying on the couch and put it in my pocket, never left the couch and when I pulled it out half an hour later there was a big crack in the screen, one single crack stopped the touch working. After waiting 6 weeks 02 gave me a replacement phone and then 6 days later it slid off the seat in my car and and the screen shattered. Very expensive phone that falls to pieces when in use.

Highlighted
Regular
Message 64 of 194
Message 64 of 194

Unfortunate experience here as well. Phone had dropped from my lap two days ago, managed to interecept it with my foot before it dropped on the floor so it only fell the height of my foot. Discovered a very small dent in the glass near the edge of the screen so thought it would be no problem at all. Today, however, when using my phone I suddenly felt a small jolt going through the phone that I couldn't really place, but some time after that I saw that the screen had cracked over the full width of the glass, right through the small dent so that likely had been the seed of the crack.

Looks to me that the glass isn't stress-free at all which is very bad for a mobile device.

BTW my phone is getting repaired for free because covered by my insurance.

Learner
Message 65 of 194
Message 65 of 194

Same experience here as well. I did not even drop it, it was in the left pocket of my jeans (not the back pocket, so I did not sit on it). Phone ok, put it in left jeans pocket, sat down, stood up, took phone out -- glass broken. The only factor that I could think of is that it went from extreme cold (-17 deg. Celsius) to normal temperature (+23 deg. Celsius) -- that might have had something to do with it.

Nevertheless, the tragic part was just starting. First, the warranty does not cover broken screens, for no matter what reason. Screen broken -- no warranty, unless you have insurance (which I did not). Then... even though the display seemed to work fine (only touch was completely unresponsive), I was told they cannot change just the touch-screen, the have to replace the display + touch screen, even though the touch screen can be bought separately as a replacement part (google it).

And the price quoted for repair? 75% of the phone price. It's a nightmare. I've contacted Sony support, still waiting for a reply. If this cannot be solved at a fair price, this will sadly be my last Sony product ever, as it's been such a disappointing experience.

For whatever it's worth, I loved my Z3 compact during the two months it worked before breaking. Really great phone but... would never buy one again.

Rookie
Message 66 of 194
Message 66 of 194

Glass cracking with no reason

Hi there,

I've owned my Z3 compact for less than a week at the moment, and it's already sprung two cracks in it for seemingly no reason whatsoever.
I've not dropped or mistreated my phone in anyway shape or form.
The first crack appeared on the rear of the phone, from the base to about 3/4 of the way up, and the second a hairline crack in the screen about an inch long from the about half way up the right hand side.

To be blunt, I think it's a defect in workmanship and Sony should repair it under warranty, I'm not the only one experiencing cracks randomly appearing in their phone for absolutely no reason.
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 67 of 194
Message 67 of 194

Re: Glass cracking with no reason

You should contact Sony Xperia Support.
http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/
Apprentice
Message 68 of 194
Message 68 of 194

I agree even car glass will break with a small stone. But there is an option to change only glass. But in xperia z3 case, servuce center guys are asking 50% of the mobile price to get it replaced which is not fair
Rookie
Message 69 of 194
Message 69 of 194

This is absolutely insane. The amount of people with exactly the same problem - glass in the phone cracking with little to no stress applied. Mine went after having it in my pocket, both the rear and front glass. Luckily enough the touchscreen is still responsive.
Sony this is clearly a massive, massive design flaw with your phone. FIX IT.
Emperor
Message 70 of 194
Message 70 of 194

If you check other forums from other brands, apple, Samsung, lg, etc you will see that cracked screens its a recurrent issue, a screen can't crack on its on

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)