account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 Compact - keeps searching for wifi

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Z3 Compact - keeps searching for wifi

Hello,

I have a problem with my Z3 Compact. It started suddenly, without any obvious reason, no physical damage (fall, water, etc) was the cause.

Woke up in the morning and I could not use internet, wifi icon in top bar was on and off. When I went to wifi settings I could see "Searching for Wi-Fi networks..". Then list of available networks appeared and after short while again "Searching for Wi-Fi networks.." appeared. When I clicked on my network I was asked for password. But in the meanwhile phone went to "Searching for Wi-Fi networks.." mode again and connection attempt fails. When I click "Connect" when list of networks is shown, it connects, obtains IP address and shows "Connected, no internet", wifi symbol in top bar is with exclamation mark. Then it goes to "Searching for Wi-Fi networks.." yet again.

I hope this is the problem of just one given network, tried to restart router, connect to different network (home, parents, office - all of these totally different networks, different routers, etc). Same problem everytime.

Therefore I decided to use Xperia Companion tool and do "Software repair". This did not help. I had problems connecting to wifi even during initial setup. Same behaviour as described above.

Then I tried to use flashtool, to flash the latest SW. No change either.

When I got through the initial setup, with "No internet connection", phone connects to internet very briefly, for very short moments (tries to update some sw), everytime disconnecting with exclamation mark on wifi symbol. Then "Searching for Wi-Fi networks.." again, after which it disconnects.

The problem is the same even in Safe mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2BE2PRljm0

Before SW repair and flashing the phone the SW was the same as the one after, ie D5803_23.5.A.1.291_1288-5411_R12D.

This is very frustrating. How can this be fixed?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Re: Z3 Compact - keeps searching for wifi

So .. I have an update for my problem. I bought another phone, from another brand, leaving my Z3C on the table. Guess what after about two weeks the wifi connection is ok. It stays connected, no dropping at all. I did not do anything! I just left the phone on the table and just checking it few times a week. Everything works even after restart.

As I bought another phone and learned that world can be much better place using something else than Sony, the only thing I can say is: SONY - NEVER AGAIN! I learned the hard way what is like to be Sony customer, I cannot recommend Sony phone to anyone. Support is so bad, phones are overpriced for no reason. I have quite a lot of people around me with phones from Z1 to Z5 range and all are switching to something else, with comments never going back to Sony because of their lousy support, SW updates for older phones and overall experience.

So .. Good Bye.

7 REPLIES 7
One time poster
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Hey guys... I am new to the Sony Xperia Z3 as well and my phone has encountered the same issue. I am trying to get a solution to this as well. I bought the phone about two weeks ago and now it is completely useless without the Wifi capabilities. Can someone please help as soon as possible. I am not sure what is going on but exactly what the user mentioned above has happened is happening to my phone as well....

Thanks

Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

So .. I have an update for my problem. I bought another phone, from another brand, leaving my Z3C on the table. Guess what after about two weeks the wifi connection is ok. It stays connected, no dropping at all. I did not do anything! I just left the phone on the table and just checking it few times a week. Everything works even after restart.

As I bought another phone and learned that world can be much better place using something else than Sony, the only thing I can say is: SONY - NEVER AGAIN! I learned the hard way what is like to be Sony customer, I cannot recommend Sony phone to anyone. Support is so bad, phones are overpriced for no reason. I have quite a lot of people around me with phones from Z1 to Z5 range and all are switching to something else, with comments never going back to Sony because of their lousy support, SW updates for older phones and overall experience.

So .. Good Bye.

One time poster
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hallo,

I have the same problem. Can anybody help me please?!

Rookie
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Unfortunately you won't get any help here, especially not from SONY. I was so optimistic too .. but as I mentioned above, ended up buying a new phone (not SONY!!!) and I can't be happier.

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Can not get WiFi on data usage 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Experiencing same problems. 

First came gps issues in february and changing motherboard, after few months of trouble-free usage comes those wifi issues Slightly frowning Face

My 3rd mobile from sony ... and probably my last one Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

I have/had the same problem and BlueTooth didn't work either (not that I use BT).

I noticed that the phone worked well on unknown networks, so I deleted my home network from

the saved networks and reenable it.

The operation worked and BT also came back, but the phone drained itself for power within a

couple of hours. After a recharge the phone is back to normal, so I recommed a reset after

deleting the saved networks.

In summary:

1) delete saved network(s)

2) reset phone

3) reenable networks(s)