account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 Compact failed - loose back cover

One time poster
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Z3 Compact failed - loose back cover

My Z3 Compact died yesterday while I was using it in the bathroom.  It's a fantastic phone so I'm quite sad.

Upon closer inspection I noticed that the rear glass panel had become unstuck, which was probably the cause. Now I know that there have been issues before with the Z series but where do I stand?

I'm not a particularly heavy gamer and I don't really do anything that would make the phone heat up for long periods of time so I'm a bit puzzled because I know from reports online that the phone can be a bit fragile and as you can see, I use a wrist strap, so I'm very careful when it comes to handling my phone.

I'm sending it off for repair soon but I'm a bit worried that Sony will say it's not covered under warranty. Has anyone dealt with Sony with a similar issue?

Any advice would be great. Thanks. Photo attached.z3 back.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Z3 Compact failed - loose back cover

This should be adressed to sony directly:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

How did you get on with this. I had the same problem this week with the back lifting although mine appears to not been damaged by water, the camera fogged up though until I opened the flaps to let some dry air inside. Mine is currently with Sony but they haven't told me if they are fixing it in warranty yet.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Hi @Stewarthuk

If you expose your warm device to water (especially cold), the steam inside the phone body will be condensed and may be shown on the camera lense, which is a normal physical phenomenon. Such condensation is usually very mild and will not have bad effects on the phone. The mist will naturally evaporate when the phone returns to normal room temperature.

Regarding the warranty, I recommend that you wait until they have examined your device at the authorized service center.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Yes. I understand the condensation on the glass issue in small amounts but mine was too regular and always after it had been raining. It had been like it for months coming and going and always annoying when you really needed to take a quick photo and it was fogged up.then the other day I saw the back glass slightly lifted and I am sure now that this is the cause. fingers crossed they glue a new back glass on and all will be good. Even when my lens was clear of fog the photos have suffered with light flare, I think from the residue on the lens.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

I see, then I understand what you mean. You were correct in sending it in for servicing, now we can only await their reply. 

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

I have that issue twice. First time (after about 10 months from purchase) device was fully replaced by Sony service under warranty. On the second time (about 8 months from replacement) Sony did "mechanical repair" whatever that means (no parts used for service were mentioned) and it works fine, but I have some concerns whether it'll last more than 8 - 10 monts :/ By that time it will be out of warranty.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)