account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Z3 Compact HDCP error with Microsoft Display Adaptor (Mirrorcast)

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 23
Message 1 of 23

Z3 Compact HDCP error with Microsoft Display Adaptor (Mirrorcast)

I have recently purchased a Z3 Compact and the Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor (uses Mirrorcast). When I use the Screen Mirroring on the Z3 it will find the Microsoft Display Adaptor however when connecting I get the error: "Could not turn on screen mirroring. The output device is not ready or does not support HDCP".

I have tested the MS Display Adaptor with a Windows 8.1 PC and can successfully connect and share my screen so I know the adaptor is working correctly. I have tried the adaptor on my Bravia and another brand of TV, it works with Windows 8.1 devices but not my Xperia.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 23
Message 6 of 23

Re: Z3 Compact HDCP error with Microsoft Display Adaptor (Mirrorcast)

Sorry to hear that you have issues with screen mirroring.

Our developers have investigated this and found that the issue is that Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is not fully compliant with the specification for HDCP 2.2.

However, our engineers have made a workaround for this issue so that it will work anyway. This workaround will be rolled out with the update to Android 5 for Z2 and Z3.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

22 REPLIES 22
Rookie
Message 2 of 23
Message 2 of 23

Just want to add that my Xperia is the factory image, updated and has not been rooted. I see some comments in the forum about issues with HDCP after flashing or rooting, in this case we have the stock phone from Sony.

Sony? Please, do I have to switch back to a Samsung which does NOT hassle me with content protection issues?

Apprentice
Message 3 of 23
Message 3 of 23

I'm having the same as you with my Z3. It has the factory image and there hasn't been any updates avaiable for it.

I borrowed a couple of friend's phones to try it out. The adapter works fine on laptops, HTC One (M7), Samsung S5 and OnePlus One.

The microsoft website also states that the adapter has HDCP on it.

Demigod
Message 4 of 23
Message 4 of 23

From time to time different combinations of adapters and devices throws HDCP errors. I had a lot of such issues with Z1 running Android 4.2 and PTV 3000. Now, few months later, when Z1 is running 4.4.4 and Netgear released 5 updates everythings works as intended.

I suggest you to ask Microsoft for some help. Maybe there is a firmware update to that device.

Of course you can also switch back to Samsung if you wish. This is user to user support forum so such statements will not eager anyone to help you solve the problem.

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
Rookie
Message 5 of 23
Message 5 of 23

Thanks, I have had the chance to try a number of different phones (models and vendors) on various TV's and even PC monitors with HDMI. The only combination that seems to not work is the Sony Xperia. I'm not sure MS will help, from past experience its usually a dead end. Not sure why its only the Xperia that is the issue. I'm always checking for new firmware for both devices, guess its just a wait and see. Searching since my last post there is more posts on the net regarding this, some in this forum.

Here is a chart I found, seems the Xperia is not compatible with anything really. Add the MS Wireless display adaptor to that list as a RED circle. http://i.imgur.com/I2QmeZe.jpeg

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 23
Message 6 of 23

Sorry to hear that you have issues with screen mirroring.

Our developers have investigated this and found that the issue is that Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter is not fully compliant with the specification for HDCP 2.2.

However, our engineers have made a workaround for this issue so that it will work anyway. This workaround will be rolled out with the update to Android 5 for Z2 and Z3.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 7 of 23
Message 7 of 23

That's really good news, thanks Rickard for the update. The MS Wireless display adaptor has been great, it is the most stable and offers the best audio / video of a Mirror cast adaptor I have had to date. Having it work with my Z3 Compact will make for an awesome experience.

One time poster
Message 8 of 23
Message 8 of 23

Really can't wait for lollipop to come out. Screen mirroring is excellent and would be a pity to have to change to a different brand just over this. Really hoping the patch for the hdcp works.
Adviser
Message 9 of 23
Message 9 of 23

I can confirmed android 5 doesn't fix this problem with z1 and my z ultra. All the other z series are most likely the same case. This wireless display is definitely the best in the market, Sony better take this seriously and get it fix asap. It screen mirroring function is pretty much a scam at this point. All my z devices can not connect to anything post android 4.2 update.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 23
Message 10 of 23

@gitaroo

Sorry to hear that it still doesn't work.

The information i got was regarding Z2 and Z3 so i'm not sure if there's been any workaround made in Z1 and Z Ultra. Could you please send me a PM with the IMEI of your phones and i'll forward this.

But you haven't unlocked the bootloader in your phones?