account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Z2/Z3 magnetic charger compatible with Z3C?

SOLVED
Adept
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Z2/Z3 magnetic charger compatible with Z3C?

Thailand just got the Z3C this past week and I bought one today.  There are no true "Sony Stores," but I bought it in a Sony-licensed store and asked about a magnetic charger, as I can see it getting old real fast to keep flipping open the charger cover for the USB charger.  They said Z2 mag charger was compatible with Z3, but not with Z3C.  They didn't have one in stock, but plan to get some "RSN."

If the Z2/Z3 mag charger is NOT compatible, would a Z1C mag charger be compatible?

Also, are there any rubber "bumpers" like for the iPhones?  I'm upgrading from an iPhone4, and really liked having the rubber bumper to protect the phone when laying it on a hard surface, especially if I slip and drop it.  I'd prefer a "bumper" rather than a "case," but a case would be Plan B.  Couldn't find any shops with a Z3C-compatible case yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.  BUT... any rubber bumpers for the Z3C?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Demigod
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Re: Z2/Z3 magnetic charger compatible with Z3C?

Cord from DK31 has orientation frames on pins. If you inspect them closely they are not identical. You can't connect it otherwise even when used outside the dock.

As for cable itself it is the same cable and connector for Z1, Z1C, Z2, Z2 Tablet, Z3, Z3C, Z3 Tablet.

I'm using it for Z1, Z1C and Z2 Tablet.

You can just buy DK31, remove two screws from the bottom, remove cable and use it for yours Z2 and Z3C.
Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
11 REPLIES 11
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

I'm not sure about compatibility however what you need is the DK48 Magnetic Charging Dock for Z3/Z3 Compact - A quick search via Google brings up a few company's that have your country in the list of countries which they can deliver too

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adept
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

@wpcoe wrote:

......would a Z1C mag charger be compatible?.......

It most assuredly is compatible. I own both a Z1C and a Z3C - and a couple of magnetic chargers, and all work together just fine.

About your bumper question, however - I've not seen a similiar bumper to the Apple bumper, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were available? Hopefully someone may have a recommendation for you on that!

- John

Highlighted
Adept
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Thanks. The ZK48 is the bona fide Sony docking station, right?  If so, that seems to confirm that Z3 and Z3C mag chargers are compatible.  I just need to find out if the Z2 is, as well.  I don't want a docking station, but a mag charger cord or even just a micro(?)-USB-to-mag connector adapter.

Something like this would be nice.  I'm just looking for confirmation that it actually does work on a Z3C.  Claims from third party vendors are not always reliable.

Does Sony market a Z3C mag cable, or just the docking station?

Adept
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Thanks, JohnD.  You were posting as I was composing.

So Z1C = Z3C and it appears Z3 = Z3C as far as mag charging adapters.

The store where I bought the phone is getting some more Z2 mag charger cables, which the guy said was Z3 compatible, but not Z3C compatible, so I'm hoping he's just confused.  Once they get the Z2 mag cable in the store, then I'll see if it works on my Z3C.  At this point I'm cautiously optimistic it will work.  Dealing with that rubber flap cover for the USB port with my big, clumsy fingers is already a PITA.  Slightly smiling Face

Adept
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

That's a nice looking charging cable - thanks for posting a link!  As well, the docking station I purchased from Sony was a DK31 (I believe - I can check the box when I get home if you'd like?). As well - no, I don't recall Sony offering a cable only magnetic charger in the USA, but I'm unsure if it's avalable ROW?

As well - I was reading somewhere (?) that one should be careful of how they attach the cable/cord only to a Z1C/Z3C, as it should be oriented the same as it would in the charging dock (the dock assures consistient plug orientation, of course). I don't know if that's the case - or yet another "Internet myth" Winking Face

My best,

John 

Demigod
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Cord from DK31 has orientation frames on pins. If you inspect them closely they are not identical. You can't connect it otherwise even when used outside the dock.

As for cable itself it is the same cable and connector for Z1, Z1C, Z2, Z2 Tablet, Z3, Z3C, Z3 Tablet.

You can just buy DK31, remove two screws from the bottom, remove cable and use it for yours Z2 and Z3C.
Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Adept
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

@SergioPL wrote:

Great info!!!

Thank you SergioPL!

John

Demigod
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

You're welcome Slightly smiling Face

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Adept
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Thanks everybody for the information.  It appears that I can use any Sony mag charger connector made for Z1 through Z3, and that the cord can be dislodged from a docking station an used independently as a cable.  Splendid!

Now I need to go back to the store and see when they get *something* in stock again.