account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

XPEria Z3 compact unable to detect Sim Card

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

XPEria Z3 compact unable to detect Sim Card

My husband handed down his Xperia Z3 Compact to me - to replace my nokia 6310i ;-) I meanwhile purchased a second SIM card for my account (we both are with telekom), but both Nano-SIMs don't work with his Sony, but well with my old Nokia. I set up a new account for me on his phone as second user, but again it won't detect my SIM-card. I'm at a loss now. I'm not sure, if restoring factory settings will solve the problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: XPEria Z3 compact unable to detect Sim Card

Hi @kielobye, welcome to our forum and I'm sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

I'm not sure if you have already tried this, but is your husbands SIM card being detected in the Xperia Z3 Compact? Just so we know if any SIM card work in the device or not.

You also mentioned that you inserted the new SIM card in your husbands device and he created a new user account for you, but that made no difference. This is not in the Xperia Z3 Compact, but his new device that he replaced the Xperia Z3 Compact with, is that correct? If that is correct, it does sound like there is something very strange with the SIM card.

As your old phone does not support Nano SIM card, only Mini, are you using an adapter to make it fit in your old phone/Xperia Z3 Compact? Punched out SIM cards, or when used with an adapter is not something that I recommend as you may experience this kind of behaviour.

The most important thing for me to know is, are other SIM cards working in the Xperia Z3 Compact, or does it not detect any SIM cards at all. If no SIM cards are detected at all, you can either do a normal factory reset, or perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

The software repair is a bit different as it will not only reset the device, it will also reinstall the latest available software in the device, in case the software is the cause of this. As always when you reset a device, all data stored on the internal storage will be deleted and if any of the data is important, you can create a backup with the same program, before starting with the repair.

Let me know how it went! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hi Jonas,

and thank you very much for your answer.

I'm sorry I'm no native speaker, but I'll try to answer your questions.

We tried my two SIM-Cards in the old Xperia Z3 Compact of my husband. After it won't detect them, we created a new user account, but again it won't detect my SIM cards.

Because my old phone fits into the hands-free equipment of my car, I purchased a second SIM Card from my provider for the xperia Z3 Compact. These Cards are "punch-out-cards" but I was very careful. And anyway, both - the new and the old SIM card - work well with my old Nokia, but not in the Sony.

Meanwhile I made a formal facotory reset, but again the xperia Z3 compact won'r detect my SIM-Card(s). Last thing left ist to try my husbands SIM card with his old xperia. But frankly spoken I do not expect it to work because both of my SIM Cards (old and new) don't work.

We replaced his old xperia Z3 because of defects in the display - there are some regions which doesn't even after the factory reset react to touch . So probably I just have to buy a new smartphone ...

Best regads Sibylle

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hi again @kielobye!

I can understand you just fine, so no worries! Slightly smiling Face

It would be great if you had the possibility to try with your husbands SIM card, just be sure that you have tried everything possible before starting to look for a new device.

Should you also have access to a computer, there is another reset you can do, that is a bit different from a factory reset, as it will also reinstall the software in the device. This reset is a software repair using Xperia Companion.

If neither of the SIM cards can be read after the repair has been completed, the SIM card reader is defect and will need to be repaired. If you still experience the same unresponsive touch on several places as well, the repair will be quite expensive and you are better off spending the money towards a new device, instead of repairing an older device.

Keep me posted and if you need any assistance with finding out which device that will suit you, let me know! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.