account arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-down

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Wifi and Bluetooth not turn on after 5.1.1 update

Apprentice

Re: Z3 compact Wifi not turning on

Hello,

I have the same issue I think.

I have already tried:

- factory reset

- repair

But the issue remains.

Build number: 23.4.A.0.546

Here is the adb log, I think it will be useful for you:

I/WifiManager( 1282): Process ndroid.systemui enabled Wifi
--------- beginning of system
D/WifiService( 854): setWifiEnabled: true pid=1282, uid=10084
D/WifiService( 854): Invoking mWifiStateMachine.setWifiEnabled
D/SoftapController( 315): Softap fwReload - Ok
D/CommandListener( 315): Setting iface cfg
D/CommandListener( 315): Trying to bring down wlan0
D/CommandListener( 315): Clearing all IP addresses on wlan0
D/Tethering( 854): sendTetherStateChangedBroadcast 1, 0, 0
D/Tethering( 854): InitialState.processMessage what=4
E/WifiMonitor( 854): killSupplicant p2ptrue init.svc.wpa_supplicant=unknown init.svc.p2p_supplicant=unknown
D/WifiMonitor( 854): startMonitoring(wlan0) with mConnected = false mToHostapd = false
E/WifiHW ( 854): Unable to open connection to supplicant on "@android:wpa_wlan0": No such file or directory
D/StatusBar.NetworkController( 1282): refreshViews connected={ data } level=3 combinedSignalIconId=0x7f02032c/com.android.systemui:drawable/stat_sys_signal_3_fully combinedActivityIconId=0x0 mobileLabel=Telekom HU wifiLabel= emergencyOnly=false combinedLabel=Telekom HU mAirplaneMode=false mDataActivity=0 mPhoneSignalIconId=0x7f02032c/com.android.systemui:drawable/stat_sys_signal_3_fully mQSPhoneSignalIconId=0x7f0200ab/com.android.systemui:drawable/ic_qs_signal_3 mDataDirectionIconId=0x0/(null) mDataSignalIconId=0x7f02032c/com.android.systemui:drawable/stat_sys_signal_3_fully mDataTypeIconId=0x7f0201a7/com.android.systemui:drawable/stat_sys_data_fully_connected_e mQSDataTypeIconId=0x7f0200b0/com.android.systemui:drawable/ic_qs_signal_e mNoSimIconId=0x0/(null) mVolteIconVisible=false mWifiIconId=0x0/(null) mQSWifiIconId=0x0/(null) mWifiActivityIconId=0x0/(null) mBluetoothTetherIconId=0x1080775/android:drawable/stat_sys_tether_bluetooth
D/Tethering( 854): sendTetherStateChangedBroadcast 0, 0, 0
D/NetworkChangeReceiver(19013): Network connected.
I/wpa_supplicant(20935): Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
I/wpa_supplicant(20935): Reading GSM home network domain configuration file '/system/etc/wifi/gsm_domains.conf'
E/wpa_supplicant(20935): interface wlan0
E/wpa_supplicant(20935): WIFI_lib_init WIFI_lib_init WIFI_lib_init WIFI_lib_init
I/wpa_supplicant(20935): rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device

E/WifiHW ( 854): Supplicant not running, cannot connect
E/WifiMonitor( 854): startMonitoring(wlan0) failed!
E/WifiStateMachine( 854): Failed to setup control channel, restart supplicant
E/WifiMonitor( 854): killSupplicant p2ptrue init.svc.wpa_supplicant=unknown init.svc.p2p_supplicant=unknown

Sam
Sony Xperia Support

If you can please test this as it will narrow down if it is a possible hardware issue; just try turning Bluetooth on/off and let us know how it goes?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony Xperia Support

@domoktamas

Could you send me a PM with a kernel log using dmesg as well?

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice

I can turn on / off the Bluetooth and it's working.

I made a small screencast about the issue: Video: Z3 Compact WiFi keeps turning on

Do you need any other information?

Apprentice

[ Edited ]

I sent the dmesg log.

Thank you for helping!

Learner

Did you manage to find a fix? I ended up ringing Sony after I repaired the phone with the PC Companion as the Wi-Fi issue still wouldn't fix. I took a look at the adb log on mine (on the computer) and it had similar things showing. Long story short, the device is going into repair tomorrow. I'm assuming it's a hardware issue. Hopefully it'll be returned to me in about a week in a repaired state!

Sony Xperia Support

domoktamas has sent me logs from his phone (thanks!) and i've forwarded these internally for investigation but currently i'm afraid i don't know what could cause this and if it's something that can be fixed without sending the phone to service. As soon as i have more information i will let you know.

Apprentice

Re: Wifi and Bluetooth not turn on after 5.1.1 update Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Hi I had the same issue a Week back with my Sony Xperia Z3 compact -- Model # D5833. 

An auto software update in lollipop and the Wifi and Bluetooth stopped working.

After speaking the the customer service expert (on chat) --Xperia Support center--  initially he advised me

1. To start the phone in a safe mode -- (press the power button for 3-4 secs you get the option) but that didnt help.

2. Next he asked me to do a repair through Sony Companion which I had installed on my laptop --- did it --reinstalled the whole software after wiping the complete software including cache--but to no avail.

3. Finally when he had no solutions left.. wink he asked  me to show it at the authorized Sony service center as it was under warranty.

I followed his instructions as did not want to experiment with my 7 months old handset, went next day to the Sony authorized Service Centre India (Mumbai) (17th Aug'2015) they said its a software problem and needed a day to rectify. But when I called them the next day to check on my phone status, they shared its a hardware problem and have sent across to another center which will do the hardware repair and will take maximum a week. 

So the week is going to end after a couple of days....I will keep you guys posted on the update.

The suggestion which I would like to share is, if you are having a similar problem run and go to the authorized service centre and leave the rest to the experts, without experimenting yourself.

So once I will receive my handset in a weeks time ....I will share you the status....on the exact issue with the device.

Learner

Hi, I have exactly the same issue as two reporters above.

Sony Z3 Compact (D5803), Build number: 23.4.A.0.546.

On 2015.08.17 wifi stopped working. If I try to turn it on, it says "turning on....", nothing happens and it goes to off after a few seconds.

I did a reset and a repair in PC Companion. The problem remains. Bluetooth works fine (verified with headphones and a laptop).

Please advise how I can gather the logs you mentioned. I would be very grateful if you could look at them and figure out if I need to send the phone to service.

Thank you.

Apprentice

I don't know if you are familier with adb (android debug bridge).

0. Settings -> About phone -> Click on Build number multiple times, you will become a developer

1. Settings -> Developer options -> turn on USB debugging (Disable it after)

2. Connect  your phone via USB to your PC.

3. Start a command prompt / terminal, where you can use the adb command. (Google adb linux/windows tutorial)

Debug logs:

adb logcat

Kernel logs:

adb dmesg log

(You can redirect the commands output to a file: adb dmesg log > c:\dmesg.txt for example)