account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Which brand of glass is on Xperia Z3 Compact?

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 11 of 44
Message 11 of 44

Re: Which brand of glass is on Xperia Z3 Compact?

the Rear of my Z3 Compact broke the night before last night, after it fell from the seat at a train station...

i had my phone since last thursday and hadn't time for buying screen protectors so far...

i think the rear glass is normal glass so far...

My first question after this accident was: is it waterproof anymore?

One time poster
Message 12 of 44
Message 12 of 44

@Rickard wrote:

For the display glass we use both Gorilla 3 and Dragontrail X but i'm afraid i don't have any detailed information about the rear glass.

I would like to buy one with Gorilla 3 in front and back panels, Where can I buy it and be sure it has Gorilla 3? Could I order it through sonymobile.com and specify I want one with Gorilla 3?

Visitor
Message 13 of 44
Message 13 of 44

I need to purchase new handsets for our business and was seriously looking at the Z3 compact - however the rather vague and not very helpful response from Sony customer support in answering this very simple question says it all! (and made my mind up to look elsewhere)

However, just for the record perhaps Sony support could have another go at answering the question - what glass is supplied, front and back, on the Xperia Z3 Compact in Australia (and the full size Z3 whilst we're at it)?
Sony Xperia Support
Message 14 of 44
Message 14 of 44

We use a durable tempered glass on both the front and back of the phone. The front glass is either Gorilla or Dragontrail as we use both on this model. There's no way to make sure you get a certain glass but both glasses are among the best in the industry. For the back i'm afraid i don't have any information on the make.

On the Z3 we only use Gorilla for the display glass but as on Z3 Compact i don't have any information on the make of the tempered glass on the back.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 15 of 44
Message 15 of 44

Thanks for the prompt response.

It's a mobile phone and therefore subject to all sorts of handling mishaps during daily life, so one is entitled to expect a reasonable level of ruggedness.

There does seem to be some concern developing regarding the performance of the glass construction of the Z3 (mainly the Compact it seems). Some examples of user experience related to alleged cracking glass can be found through this link - http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/general/sony-xperia-z3-z3-compact-glass-survey-t2900149

The Z3C sounds like a superb phone in most other respects, and I was sorely tempted to buy some for our company, but sadly I must walk away.

Commissioner
Message 16 of 44
Message 16 of 44

@Rickard wrote:

We use a durable tempered glass on both the front and back of the phone. The front glass is either Gorilla or Dragontrail as we use both on this model. There's no way to make sure you get a certain glass but both glasses are among the best in the industry. For the back i'm afraid i don't have any information on the make.

On the Z3 we only use Gorilla for the display glass but as on Z3 Compact i don't have any information on the make of the tempered glass on the back.

@sorry @Rickard but I would strongly dispute your use of the term "durable" because 21-33% of the examples in this survey would beg to differ:

https://docs.google.com/a/cmshome.net/forms/d/1TbzuItq2xFDTS7iXX_mpiXN0MEINdA521bJkWaPlPRk/viewanaly...

Out of these figures, 14% (out of the 21%)  had the front glass crack on its own (allegedly) and 24% (out of the 33%) had the back glass crack on its own (allegedly).

Sounds lke the back glass is NOT made of the same strength of glass as the front / display.

The z3 compact is NOT durable and even if we ignore the staggering percentages of non-incident related damage, Sony do not warn users to buy a protective case because the phone can't tolerate falls or drops.

For virtually no extra cost, Sony could include some kind of case with the phone but don't bother.

Very poor.

Adviser
Message 17 of 44
Message 17 of 44

It's not Gorilla Glass .. Any of sony mobile phones aren't listed on Gorilla Glass website or sony website.. Here's the link. http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/en/products-with-gorilla

so watch out when u hold ur z3 / or carry it with on a pillow. // people might say it's gorilla but there's no official presentation for it. it's fragile, deal with the fact. 

Adviser
Message 18 of 44
Message 18 of 44

Having come to the conclusion before i ordered that it was not gorilla glass i was hoping there would be some decent durable cases available. I know roxfit are official suppliers for the xperia range and they make a touchscreen case for the z3. However bizarrley do not intend to make one for the less durable screen of the compact! This phone when it works is great but it seems very very buggy between mysterious broken screens, odd underperforming camera apps and dodgy sd support.it's a real shame
One time poster
Message 19 of 44
Message 19 of 44

glass

Sony Xperia Z3 c is scratchable? of keys and staff like that?

Forum Legend
Message 20 of 44
Message 20 of 44

Re: glass

Some would say no but the screen is scratch resistant only and not scratch proof - Apply enough force and scratches will most likely appear - Sand and or dirt is the biggest known culprit

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman