account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

What is LTE Option?

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

What is LTE Option?

Newby question: Under what conditions do I tap to activate "LTE" on the gray start up screen? What does LTE do, and how does it relate to cell or mobile data service (I use ATT "Go Phone" prepaid)?

If I leave the LTE option off (which I have done so far) what exactly do I miss? 

Thanks,

JM

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: What is LTE Option?

LTE is 4G. Your phone is compatible and you have a compatible SIM too, it should work. Faster mobile data and good coverage for a large number of people are some features:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/4g-and-lte-everything-you-need-...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Thanks, but linking a three page article filled with technical specs about introduction of LTE in Britain in 2012 without addressing my specific questions was not all that helpful. 

Specifically: 

1. Why even have an LTE on/off option on my phone if it's only good? Are there any downsides? 

2. Will my phone automatically choose LTE, once activated on the phone, when and where available, and revert to regular data transmission when not?

2. Does LTE only increase data transfer speeds or will it also improve cell/phone connections?

4. My main initial question remains unanswered:  Why and under what circumstances would I ever turn this feature off?

Looking for simple, clear answers.

Thanks,

JM

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Hi @Marbles,

1. LTE is not available in all locations. If you are on the edge of LTE coverage you may experience drop outs in calls or slow transfer speeds. The ability to turn it off would be necessary to improve the stability of your network connection.

2. If you have the option set to "LTE/4G preferred, it will always attempt to connect to LTE if it is detected, and will automatically switch to 3G/2G depending on what is available.

3. LTE has a significantly faster transfer rate than the previous cellular technology. 3G (WCDMA) and HSDPA+ are still excellent when it comes to voice, and you may not notice the improvement when you compare them directly.

4. See #1.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Isn't there a contradiction between your answer points #1 and #2?

If the phone turns LTE off automatically where it is not available, why have an LTE disconnect option?  Why did Sony decide to complicate matters, when other Android phones, like HTC, don't have an LTE activation switch?

Am I am missing an upside to the LTE option switch? 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

@Marbles,

If you are on the edge of an LTE coverage area your phone will still try to connect to LTE, however as the signal is weaker your device may experience slow connections, call drops, poor quality etc. In such a situation you would be better to disable LTE and let it connect to a 3G/2G connection.

Other devices have an option, but it is usually located in the 'Preferred network' screen, where you choose to have 3G or 2G preferred. It functions the same way.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Thanks. Do you therefore suggest to keep the LTE switch ON as default, for most areas and most times (I live in a metropolitan area)?

JM

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Again: What should be the default setting for LTE option on my phone?

Genius
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

Leave it on, if there is enough lte coverage you will connect to it otherwise your phone will stick with 3g/h+.

If your prepaid plan allow 4g lte why not using it?

Just for your information, the lte switch it's android standard, not Sony. The reason to have it is that some old devices used to drain battery faster on lte than regular 4g/3g. Also some users complained that during trips crossing rural areas the continued switching between lte and other protocols was provoking disconnections, dropped calls and battery drain hence the reason to have such menu.

Cheers.

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Great answer. Thank you.

Will leaving LTE on all the time increase battery drain? (You mentioned it did with "older" Androids).