account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Warning: Z3c doesn't seem to work with many common bluetooth devices. No fix immenent?

Visitor
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Warning: Z3c doesn't seem to work with many common bluetooth devices. No fix immenent?

Hello. I just bought the Z3c as a replacement for the far-too-large Samsung Galaxy S5. 

However, unlike the Samsung phone, the Sony fails to detect almost all bluetooth devices I've tried. In particular it fails to connect with my Jaybird Bluebuds X sports headphones, and a Bose speaker dock, both of which use an older bluetooth implementation.

I believe this is a Bluetooth stack issue with Sony's 4.0 implementation, though please correct me if i'm wrong,

Sony, any plans to fix this? Please address this for new or would-be buyers, many of whom have existing bluetooth devices and quite reasonably expect to use them when buying your smartphones.

7 REPLIES 7
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Warning: Z3c doesn't seem to work with many common bluetooth devices. No fix immenent?

Have you checked with them directly

http://www.jaybirdsport.com/bluebuds-x-bluetooth-headphones/details-specs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Re: Warning: Z3c doesn't seem to work with many common bluetooth devices. No fix immenent?

Yes. Jaybird uses bluetooth 2.1, which is fine with other phone makers. Seems there's nothing they can do.

Based on my interaction with them, I believe the issues is due to Sony's implementation of the bluetooth 4.0 stack.  This would explain why multiple third party devices from several different manufacturers are not detected by the Sony phone, but show up fine on Samsung or Apple devices.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

I think there may be a problem with your Bluetooth radio, as my Z3C connects just fine to my Bluebuds X, and indeed the volume & sound quality are notably better than with the Z1C.

The v2.1/4.0 thing is a bit of red herring, as Bluetooth 4.0 is backward compatible by design and there are no 4.0 features relevant to audio. What's more important is the support of the A2DP profile. Everything hunky-dory here with that. Did you try to toggle your Throw settings (switch off Auto), and your Bluetooth audio settings? Otherwise I suggest you send it to Sony to look at ...

Visitor
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

It won't detect the bluetooth in my car's system either.  Previous phones have had no such problem.  Makes it fairly useless for my purposes.

So I put it in a room with several other bluetooth enabled devices.  It found 1 out of 5.  Does anyone have any ideas as to a solution?

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

There is definitelly something screwed up, I can't interconnect my laptop with the phone. They see each other, they pair, then the phone says that all is connected but the laptop thows out a pop-up "communication failed". I think I will just return the **bleep** thing.

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

I have seen the same bluetooth issue with our new Z3 compact and our car (Min, year of construction 2011) .

The devices see each other, pairing is possible and the connection is fine. But after a while the Z3 compact connection in the car disappears. The phones says everything is fine. 

Anyone aware of a solution?

Thx

Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

You might have a defective device or it needs a software repair because all I use for my music needs is Bluetooth and I regularly use the following without any issue:

- Plantronics BackBeat Go2 (headphones)

- Altec Lansing InMotion SoundBlade (portable speakers)

- Bose SoundDock 10 (home speakers)

- Sony XSP-N1BT (car stereo)

- Sony MEX-BT2500 (car stereo)

Additionally I have paired and tested the following devices:

- Logitech K810 Bluetooth Keyboard

- ASUS U47A (notebook)

- a chinese Monopod (selfie stick with bluetooth)

And the Z3C has been flawless so far regarding bluetooth connections... not even one dropout. My older Acro S used to have an issue that prevents the BT from turning on, and the switch inside settings would become grayed out until a reboot.