account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Unlocked Xperia Z3 Compact on AT&T?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 27
Message 1 of 27

Unlocked Xperia Z3 Compact on AT&T?

I would like to know if the unlocked version will be compatible with AT&T.  I know it is on T-Mobile and that their networks are sort of compatible but I want to make sure I'm not going to be buying something that isn't 100% functional on the AT&T network. 

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adept
Message 6 of 27
Message 6 of 27

Re: Unlocked Xperia Z3 Compact on AT&T?

Hi Rosco,

I can now confirm that model D5803 is the one you want - and it works amazingly well on the AT&T US network (including LTE..!). It's an amazing device, and a terrific upgrade to my Z1 Compact.

Hope this helps,

John

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 27
Message 2 of 27

You would be best directing this type of question towards Xperia care who should have the correct answer for you http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Adept
Message 3 of 27
Message 3 of 27

I've been trying to determine this myself.  However - here is what I "think" I know..  I run both an Xperia ZL LTE (C6506) and an Xperia Z1 Compact (D5503) on AT&T.  the Xperia ZL LTE supports LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 while the Z1 Compact supports  LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600...  OK - so what does all that mean?

First - the Z1 Compact and the ZL certainly connect to the AT&T network - but, for full compatability with AT&T's nationwide LTE network - you must have both LTE 700 (Channel 17) & 1700 (Channel 4). For that, typically my Z1 Compact will connect at HSPA+ speeds - while the ZL LTE runs at full LTE anywhere in the USA.

Second - what regions have AT&T LTE on which channel? No one can really tell me, and I've failed to find anyone who really knows - except to say, in my area, AT&T LTE is channel 17 (700), so again - my Z1 Compact won't work at LTE speeds (altough everything else works great..)..

So - here is the exact question that needs to be answered... Does the Z3 Compact support LTE 700 (channel 17). We already know it supports LTE 1700 (channel 4), as that that is what's used by T-Mobile in their LTE network.. If it does - the Z3C ought to fully support AT&T. If not - it will be 100% compatible in only certain areas of the USA with AT&T.

Anyway - that's the way I understand it..

- John

Learner
Message 4 of 27
Message 4 of 27

I contacted Sony Support as suggested above for them to give me the same information as everything out their about carrier bands.

Their Reply:

We are glad to hear your interest on our Xperia™ products, in regards to your inquiry about the Xperia™ Z3 Compact, you need to verify your carrier's frecuency for LTE, to confirm wich one of the models is compatible with your carrier's network. We have the following models:

*Xperia™ Z3 Compact D5803 LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600

*Xperia™ Z3 Compact D5833 LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 

*Xperia™ Z3 CompactD5833 LTE 2300 TDD"

So I just compared by current Moto X phone and the Xperia Z3 on gsmarena.com.  

Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 8.44.44 AM.png

It looks like the D5803 would be the correct one to get.  But this doesn't factor in channel numbers.  Which is where the confusion sets in.  Are these channels used by the phone?  I'm unsure still and haven't found a straight answer.  

Then there is this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 8.56.39 AM.png

Still looks like the D5803 will work everywhere and that the frequency and band numbers don't matter.  If the frequency matches then you should be good.  I'm still going to research on this.  No need in dropping 800 bucks or something on a phone that isn't going to work.    

Adept
Message 5 of 27
Message 5 of 27

Hi Rosco.!

Based on the bands...

It looks like the Z3 Compact D5803 is the one we would want (on AT&T in the USA)....  As it includes both the LTE 700 & 1700...  Those are the same specs as the ZL LTE that I use here in the USA for AT&T.  And the LTE 700 is what is currently missing from the Z1 Compact - which, in my region - is why it goes only to HSPA+ (which is really an accelerated 3G Winking Face )...

Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong..?

Best always,

John

@RoscoV3 wrote:

I contacted Sony Support as suggested above for them to give me the same information as everything out their about carrier bands.

Their Reply:

We are glad to hear your interest on our Xperia™ products, in regards to your inquiry about the Xperia™ Z3 Compact, you need to verify your carrier's frecuency for LTE, to confirm wich one of the models is compatible with your carrier's network. We have the following models:

*Xperia™ Z3 Compact D5803 LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600

*Xperia™ Z3 Compact D5833 LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 

*Xperia™ Z3 CompactD5833 LTE 2300 TDD"

Adept
Message 6 of 27
Message 6 of 27

Hi Rosco,

I can now confirm that model D5803 is the one you want - and it works amazingly well on the AT&T US network (including LTE..!). It's an amazing device, and a terrific upgrade to my Z1 Compact.

Hope this helps,

John

View solution in original post

Learner
Message 7 of 27
Message 7 of 27

That is awesome!  Where did you order yours?

Glad it worked out!  Congrats!

Adept
Message 8 of 27
Message 8 of 27

I ordered it Sunday from an Amazon seller - who I *thought* had inventory in the USA (I'm a Prime Member, so I was hoping to get "2 day" delivery)? Turns out they had no stock in their Seattle location, but rather shipped from Hong Kong..  Ready for this, though? With "expedited" shipping ($18), they shipped it this Monday morning  and it arrived at 9:30 AM this morning (Wednesday). Came in through Fedex International Priority - in three (!!!) days..!..

Wow..!

Anyway - I'm loving this new phone..!

John

Learner
Message 9 of 27
Message 9 of 27

Did it come with a US based charger?  I'm thinking of getting it soon.  

Adept
Message 10 of 27
Message 10 of 27

It comes with a prong adaptors to convert from the ROW spec plug (round) to North American spec (blades). Typically, a store sending overseas will open the box and add the adaptor in - which is exactly what they did Winking Face As well -- it works perfecly, although a bit bulkier then a standard US spec power adaptor.

As well - I was concerned that when I powered it on, I might have to fiddle with the settings to get to "English". Not the case. When I fired it up for the first time to set it up - it defaulted to English immediately.

Hope this helps!

- John