account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Touchscreen Unresponsive

Learner
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Touchscreen Unresponsive

So, I have bought my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, 2 years ago, screen got unresponsive like a year ago, I contacted the Sony Center and they replaced my phone with new Xperia Z3 Compact, but now the problem has again arised, the top and the bottom part of the screen has become unresponsive again and it's so annoying. 

I need help asap.

Repairing the phone should not be the only answer, I cannot repair my phone every year, I have not dropped my phone, nor even used underwater, nor any rough use.

Please help me, thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Touchscreen Unresponsive

try to restart your device using the button found inside one of the flaps. or a long press on the power should do it,

if you are unwilling to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, then I suggest you head on to your local service center Local support

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Hi @sparshDubey, I am very sorry to hear about that. Slightly frowning Face

In addition to what @nolramlb suggested, could you try to see if you are able to clear the whole display in the touchscreen Diagnostics test? To do so, go to Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Touchscreen - follow the instructions here.

If you were not able to clear the whole screen, could you try performing the same test while in safe mode?

Let me know how it went! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

I tried the touchscreen test, it doesn't clear up the top and bottom part sometimes, but sometimes it does.
Another strange thing I noticed, the touchscreen works fine when the Soft keys are not there. Like, when I am on lockscreen, the soft keys are Camera, Emergency and Lock and that time the touchscreen works just fine.(Tried my best to express in words). 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Did you experience the same while in safe mode?

In this case, I recommend that you proceed with a software repair using Xperia Companion and then try to see if it persists afterwards.

Keep me up to date on how it went! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Yes, it did persist in Safe Mode, sometimes it got cleared, sometimes it did not. I am going for Software Repair right now, will update you guys soon. 

Learner
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

It din't fix even with the software repair. I am not getting it, touchscreen works fine when the Softkeys are minimized, but it doesn't when it's not minimized.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Yes, I agree that the behaviour is very peculiar. Slightly frowning Face

I'm afraid the next step is to have the device sent to an authorized service center so that a technician may have a look at it. To do so, I recommend getting in touch with your Local support so that they can assist you with the process.

One time poster
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

Hello sparshDubey

I have just been reading your thread from a month ago with interest.  I have been having a very similar problem to you, although only at the top of the screen - so when I want to drag down a notification form the task bar, I can't.  Unless I open an app, turn the phone landscape and then it works (because I am dragging from the side).

I have tried the diagnostic screen clear, and it doesn't clear the top.  I have tried restarting in safe mode and removing the SD card.

Having read your post, I tried to drag down the notification while in lock screen - and it worked!  Which makes me think that it is not a physical problem with the screen (the screen is in good condition).  It's more like the issues you used to get with the old HP/Compaq handheld PC's (for those old enough...).  At least with them there was an option to recalibrate the touch screen.

Anyway, I just wanted to know, as it's been a month or so - did you get any joy from sending your phone off for repair (if indeed you did that) ?  What did they say?

Many thanks

JamieP

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

@JamieP wrote:

Hello sparshDubey

I have just been reading your thread from a month ago with interest.  I have been having a very similar problem to you, although only at the top of the screen - so when I want to drag down a notification form the task bar, I can't.  Unless I open an app, turn the phone landscape and then it works (because I am dragging from the side).

I have tried the diagnostic screen clear, and it doesn't clear the top.  I have tried restarting in safe mode and removing the SD card.

Having read your post, I tried to drag down the notification while in lock screen - and it worked!  Which makes me think that it is not a physical problem with the screen (the screen is in good condition).  It's more like the issues you used to get with the old HP/Compaq handheld PC's (for those old enough...).  At least with them there was an option to recalibrate the touch screen.

Anyway, I just wanted to know, as it's been a month or so - did you get any joy from sending your phone off for repair (if indeed you did that) ?  What did they say?

Many thanks

JamieP

Hi JamieP and sparshDubey,

I just saw this thread. However, I had the exact same experience as your first post (no exaggeration, when top touchscreen suddenly became unresponsive etc).

This issue has been elaborately discussed in other threads:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/Status-bar-Notification-pull-down-difficult-in-home-...

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/Z3-compact-back-and-home-button-not-working-after-re...

I've been following those threads, you may read some though it'll take a while--just if you want to have more idea on the matter.

Anyway, it's a common problem and I don't think you can avoid it, seeing as how TWO of your phones (z3 compact and another unit as replacement) went down like that. Like, what did you do wrong for it to happen twice (not only to you, btw)?

None, right? You just used your phone as normal.

Cheers