account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Sudden Death of Sony xperia Z3 Compact

Enthusiast
Message 31 of 442
Message 31 of 442

Re: Sudden Death of Sony xperia Z3 Compact

Sony like any other company cannot possibly have the capacity to retain and operate service centers in all corners of the world.  It is therefore very critical that they release into the market gadgets that can withstand basic operational rigour without expecting its customers to run to the nearest service center/service provider.  It is painful if someone spends $600 on a junk gadget.

I cannot reach a service center and therefore I am stuck with a junk technology (Sony XZ3C) that is hardly 2 months old.

Update: My XZ3C is now (after the sudden death:now temporal resurrection) displaying bouts of unpredicability that is not expected - one time it is DEAD - nothing: no LED, no vibration upon booting operations.  Then out of the blues on a monday evening red LED, then charging progress display - charging 1%.  Then SUDDEN DEATH once again: nothing, no response - just a glass housed gadget that is not smart enough to warn of any error, system failure/needs/danger warning!!!

Where are the Sony geeks (even the gentleman with the Gandalf Icon) to offer any diagnosis/probable cause? Hardware or Software Hitch?

Inhabitant
Message 32 of 442
Message 32 of 442

Hi Orange1. Have you sent your phone for repair? I'm going to the Service Centre this weekend for my SECOND round of repair: this time for the flap issue.

For those who are also having the "sudden death" problem, I'm putting the step-by-step instruction (received from Sony Xperia support centre) for software repair using PC Companion here, so that you can try it before going to a Service Centre. Good luck!

To perform a software repair using your Windows® computers and the PC Companion application
Note! You should always back up all data before performing a software repair.
1.Download PC Companion from
www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/pc-companion/, and install it on your Windows computer.
2.Turn off the phone and disconnect it from the computer.
Note! No matter what the program says, do not connect the phone until you have completed step 11.
3.Computer: Open the PC Companion application.
4.Select Start under Support Zone.
5.Select device Software Update and Start.
6.Could not find phone appears. Select Repair phone and Connect.
7.You are warned about the loss of your personal data twice. If you acknowledge that continuing will overwrite all data select Continue.
8.Tick the box to confirm that you have understood that all personal data will be lost. Then click Next. The application prepares for the update and if necessary downloads required data from the web.
9.Select your phone model manually and then click Next.
10.Depending on the model selected, you are asked to perform a few steps for the update for PC Companion to be able to update the phone software. Do not connect the phone yet!
Note! At this point the phone must be off and disconnected from the computer.
11.Connect the USB cable to the computer, not to the phone.
12.Xperia: While pressing and holding down the indicated button, connect the USB cable to the Xperia™ device, and keep holding and pressing down the indicated button until The update of your device has started... appears (in some cases Installing drivers appears first).
13.If you failed to follow the steps correctly the phone will turn on, and Proceed with the following steps, slide down the notification bar appear.  If this happens, disconnect the phone from the cable, turn it off and repeat from step 12.
14.Follow the instructions on the screen. When the repair is finished, disconnect the device and then start the device again.
15.Select Next. If the repair was successful, the message The device has been successfully updated appears. Select Finish.

Highlighted
Regular
Message 33 of 442
Message 33 of 442

it has now been 3 weeks since i sent the phone to the service center. and they are still waiting for parts from europe. sony shouldnt be surprised if they are not making profits from experia business - the handling of the issue is ridiculous

One time poster
Message 34 of 442
Message 34 of 442

My phone just died on me today, so I'm going to have to go through this whole process, shame it's a friday though, gonna go without a phone for an extra little while! 

Enthusiast
Message 35 of 442
Message 35 of 442

@edamin

I cannot reach any service center soon so it means that your step-by-step update instruction is critical.

My phone is now erratically dyng and waking/resurrecting.  Now it is dead again after being on for a short while.

Before I follow the instruction: a question:.

Will the phone respond to the updates from step 11 of the instruction when it is dead - not coming on, not being detected by the PC Companion computer, not charging (instruction requires at least 80% charge)?

It is like the **bleep** thing is on some unscheduled boots of coma (deep sleep) - wake oscillation.

Thanks for the instruction, my fingers are crossed!

One time poster
Message 36 of 442
Message 36 of 442

My Xperia Z3C also died about 3 weeks after I purchased it. I didn't even use it during these 3 weeks!

At first it shut down out of nowhere after like 2 weeks. Then I could restart it several times but it shut down frome time to time. In the end the periods between the shutdowns got shorter and now it's completely dead and not working at all. I already sent it to a service center....

I just switched from iPhone to Sony/ Android after 5 years of Apple. This is some really really bad start....

Seems to be a common problem so please Sony: Do some troubleshooting!!

Regards,

Jens

Inhabitant
Message 37 of 442
Message 37 of 442

@Orange1, sorry but I don't have an answer to your question. I didn't manage to try that instruction because I'd already sent my phone for repair by the time I received their e-mail. And my phone never woke up intermittently like yours. Mine completely died. I hope that the problem doesn't return. I hate having to lose data and change my SIM card.
Inhabitant
Message 38 of 442
Message 38 of 442

i am also a z3c user for one month the phone start to shut down itself start from 2 weeks ago n now this issue is become quite serious and it wil shut down few times a day after i successful to switch on in 1 or 2 hours. i have try the pc companion to update the latest software it had same problem too...it cant switch on again rght now since i had try a lot of solution. I had not yet send it to service center yet until now. Does anyone here had solve the problem?

Inhabitant
Message 39 of 442
Message 39 of 442

@edamin hi so does the phone wont be auto shut down anymore after u had service it? which serivice center u go to repair the phone and how long does it take to repair it?

Inhabitant
Message 40 of 442
Message 40 of 442

My phone doesn't have that problem anymore but after the repair a new problem started (flap over SIM card keeps popping out). The first repair took almost 2 weeks.