account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Status bar/Notification pull down difficult in home screen

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 81 of 338
Message 81 of 338

Status / notification bar - UNABLE TO PULL DOWN

Hi,

My Z3C is 1 year and 7 months.

After updating to the latest software, the problem with the status bar started to occur--I've had NO problems whatsoever anywhere in my phone before this ( and I have dropped my phone very very long ago. Lately, nothing major has happened to it physically.)

I don't think it's a hardware problem, especially after reading around and a lot of other people are experiencing this.

Would like help from Sony.

Thank you.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 82 of 338
Message 82 of 338

Re: Status / notification bar - UNABLE TO PULL DOWN

Hi @tinong9,

Can you please go to Settings > About Phone > Diagnostics > Test, and test the Touch screen. See if there's an area near the top of the display that is not recognising your touch.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 83 of 338
Message 83 of 338

I tried Diagnostics>Touchscreen test in two ways:

1) while connected to computer, which put it in Non-stamina mode

--I failed the diagnostics as I cannot clear most of the screen (middle, top, bottom areas of the screen are hard to clear)

2) disconnected to any charging device, which automatically put it in Stamina mode (set up Stamina mode to be turned ON always)

--first try > cleared all of the screen

--next few tries > cannot clear parts (not all) of the top of the screen, like some 0.2mm at the top (space for the status bar it seems)

Hope that helps.

One time poster
Message 84 of 338
Message 84 of 338

Re: Status bar/Notification pull down difficult in home screen

I am facing same issue currently and submitted the phone in sony center.

Notification bar is coming down when screen is locked but fails on Unlocked screen.

They will say the hardware panel is faulty and need to replace entire display.

I asked one simple question to their technical team, "do the same Hardware panel work for notification bar in locked and Unlocked screen?".......They will answer yes but still say, the resolution is only to change Entire display for Rs. 9600.

Suggestion: Please sell the device and purchase another one, Sony is finding such chip way to earn money.

Enthusiast
Message 85 of 338
Message 85 of 338

@CameronT wrote:

Hi @tinong9,

Can you please go to Settings > About Phone > Diagnostics > Test, and test the Touch screen. See if there's an area near the top of the display that is not recognising your touch.

Hi,

PLEASE see my post prior to this, I've already answered your question and done Diagnostics tests.

Awaiting solutions.

Thanks.

@KuldipPatel195 wrote:

I am facing same issue currently and submitted the phone in sony center.

Notification bar is coming down when screen is locked but fails on Unlocked screen.

They will say the hardware panel is faulty and need to replace entire display.

I asked one simple question to their technical team, "do the same Hardware panel work for notification bar in locked and Unlocked screen?".......They will answer yes but still say, the resolution is only to change Entire display for Rs. 9600.

Suggestion: Please sell the device and purchase another one, Sony is finding such chip way to earn money.

Timing, iPhone7 will be released soon I think.

But this is such a waste - I've only had it for less than 2 years. I am still waiting for their SOLUTION to this SOFTWARE bug (it's DEFINITELY NOT THE HARDWARE)--it is improbable for the screen to just suddenly deteriorate in a matter of.. not even a couple of days. Like the whole top of the screen suddenly went numb.

If it were a hardware problem, I think the touchscreen would start to be insensitive little by little, area per area. And like, still be able to pull notif bar down by sliding a bit harder, until you are not able to pull it down with max effort.

NOT SO SUDDEN as how it happened to me. (Or to you, or to everyone else who is experiencing this very annoying software problem.)

Visitor
Message 86 of 338
Message 86 of 338

I have the same problem with my Z3 and have been reading these forum posts for a while now. This is my take on the issue.

First, this seems to be an extremely common problem across all Z3 versions which all STARTED AT THE SAME TIME in 2015. Unless Sony has found a way to trigger hardware failures across the world in all of their handsets at the same time, this seems to be a different problem.

Second, as noted by several users, the SCREEN WORKS IN LOCKED SCREEN mode. Again, unless Sony has found a way to switch the hardware between locked screen and unlocked screen modes, this cannot be a hardware problem.

What bothers me the most, is that the Sony representatives on this forum (and eveywhere else) deal with every new complaint as if its the first time they are coming across the issue!!!! "So sorry to hear that.. have you tried a factory reset after backing up? If that does not work, please go to a Service Center". I guess if I had screwed up this bad, I would have acted all innocent as well.

Maybe it is a hardware problem, however irrational that may seem to a lay person like me. BUT, until Sony starts acknowledging that there is a problem and offering at least an explanation as to what can cause such a common hardware malfunction, I have to assume that they are CHEATS trying to make money off of an error instead of paying for it.

Enthusiast
Message 87 of 338
Message 87 of 338

@KDutta wrote:

First, this seems to be an extremely common problem across all Z3 versions which all STARTED AT THE SAME TIME in 2015. Unless Sony has found a way to trigger hardware failures across the world in all of their handsets at the same time, this seems to be a different problem.

Second, as noted by several users, the SCREEN WORKS IN LOCKED SCREEN mode. Again, unless Sony has found a way to switch the hardware between locked screen and unlocked screen modes, this cannot be a hardware problem.

Maybe it is a hardware problem, however irrational that may seem to a lay person like me. BUT, until Sony starts acknowledging that there is a problem and offering at least an explanation as to what can cause such a common hardware malfunction, I have to assume that they are CHEATS trying to make money off of an error instead of paying for it.

They can't simply rule this out as a hardware problem, unless there is some sort of "expiration" period for one of the parts in the phone, then that would be the trigger to the hardware failures across the world , as you said it.

YES the notif bar is easily pulled down when locked. Also, sideways. The same screen works and does not work in different modes, as I've tried during stamina mode and non-stamina mode. I dare them to say it is a "hardware" problem, we would like proof.

What I would like to know for now IS when they are going to acknowledge it is a software bug, and are they going to make a fix--I still plan on using my Xperia Z3 Compact because I don't like changing phones often. Because if not, I'm switching brands.

Rookie
Message 88 of 338
Message 88 of 338

Hi,

I have the same problem with my z3 compact regarding the status bar, but I noticed that if I check in setup/display the “gloves mode”, then I can pull down the status bar. This made me think this is more a software problem then a hardware one.   

Learner
Message 89 of 338
Message 89 of 338

Good observation sogard.

The fact the tool bar can be pulled down on the lock screen also suggests that the issue relates to software configuration. 

What I noticed was if you have some types of notification in the toolbar you can swipe downwards over those notification icons with no problem. For example, send or receive a file by Bluetooth then swipe down from the icon.

Does this work for anyone else?

Some other notifications seem to 'override' this behaviour.

I'd been using this Bluetooth message workaround successfully for a few days (I noticed this swipe problem about a week ago) then I got a load of update notifications, including an Xperia system update notification, with these extra notifications in the toolbar I couldn't swipe downwards again.

Maybe something is switching that section off and it is only reactivated by some applications using it.

Enthusiast
Message 90 of 338
Message 90 of 338

Re: Status bar/Notification pull down difficult in home screen

My side:

I've got the phone in January 2015. No issues till 1 month ago.

Suddently one day I wasn't able (sometime) to drop down the notification bar.

After a reboot I was able.

But the issue was behind the corner. In fact after some days the issue was already with the phone. And after a couple of week I wasn't able anymore to drop down the bar.

I was using KitKat (yes KK... for me the best rom optimized for this phone).

So, before sending back for repair (in warranty) I decided to upgrade to Marshmallow.

The issue wasn't solved AND after 1 week also the navigation bar didn't work anymore.

From that moment both bars never worked again.

So... honestly I'm little confused if this could be a sw or hw problem.

If sw, why with KK the problem was after more than 1 year?

If hw, why in lock screen buttons placed in the same place of the navigation bar work?

On the other side I took the opportunity to check the Marsmallow rom... and yes, there are some features/designs better than KitKat but in my opinion, in the end, KK is much better than MM (battery over all). At least for this phone