account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Status bar/Notification pull down difficult in home screen

SOLVED
Learner
Message 311 of 338
Message 311 of 338

Z3C the notification status bar cannot pull down

from last week started same problem for me too. I tried to return factory thing... still not working. Hope so Sony can fix this !! Because its serious. And its not hardware problem, its completely Software problem.... !!! As i can see, they have no solution for this problem. And i dont have a warranty and dont wanna pay anything because of SONY's Mistake !!!

Adept
Message 312 of 338
Message 312 of 338

Re: Z3C the notification status bar cannot pull down

Update: Just wanted to say I tried installing Nova Launcher and that it appears that didn't work either. So out of the two launchers I have tired (well three if you include the default) only Apex Launcher appears to work. Not sure about other launchers. So no idea what on earth is going on with the phone.

Additionally, after installing the Apex Launcher, I still can't pull down the notifications bar when in an app.

Either way, I'm looking at purchasing a new phone (since the Z3 Compact OS won't be upgraded any more), but it won't be a Sony. Good to great hardware but pretty poor software/after sales service and support (which is critically important in this day and age).

Original post follows from here. /End of Update

This issue has not been solved!

Had this issue flair up on my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact today. The problem is clearly with the Xperia Home launcher.

How do I know?

I checked:

1. The touchscreen. No part of the screen is unresponsive. All good there.

2. At the lockscreen. Can pull down the notifications bar just fine.

3. Set the Home settings (long press on a blank part of the screen and select "Settings") to auto-rotate the home screen. Rotated phone to landscape mode. Can pull down the notifications bar just fine.

4. Tried a normal restart - issue still occurs. Boot into safe mode - issue still occurs. Cleared internal storage cache, transferred files across - issue still occurs. Tried switching the user account to guest and back - issue still occurs.

5. So, knowing that the issue IS SOFTWARE, and not hardware I decided to try a different launcher. Went to the Play Store - installed Apex Launcher (no need to root the phone or anything). I can pull down notifications bar again!

So the issue is clearly with the launcher - i.e. Xperia Home. Install Apex Launcher for now.

I wonder if there there will ever be a fix?

Adept
Message 313 of 338
Message 313 of 338

Re: Z3C D5803 the notification status bar cannot pull down

As a test, I found that when you receive a notification - such as from an app, or a low battery notification - you can pull down the notification bar just fine. The problem only exists when you are on the home screen or have an app open when in potrait mode. So it must be a firmware bug.

@Chrisishappy wrote:

I Have this same problem. I can drag down fine when the screen is on the lock screen however when I unlock the phone it won't pull down the status bar. This means it is not a screen fault but a firmware/update problem. I found an app called dropdownstatusbar available from the play store which you can place on your homescreen and will pull down the menu for you. It will save you unnecessarily replacing a screen and will keep your phone working until Sony release the next update to fix this problem 

Went to the Play Store and searched for " drop down status bar ". So many options to try that serve as a reasonable workaround for now.

Well, apparently if you mention other phone brands your post gets deleted. So I won't do that.

However, Sony, how about you actually do something about rectifiying the issue rather than trying to just sweep it under the rug? After sales service and support is critical. If all you are going to do is just delete my posts rather than address the issue then I'm guessing you don't care.

Sony clearly does not care about this issue on the Z3 Compact enough to try to fix the problem. Time to move on from Sony.

Adept
Message 314 of 338
Message 314 of 338

@Chrisishappy wrote:

I Have this same problem. I can drag down fine when the screen is on the lock screen however when I unlock the phone it won't pull down the status bar. This means it is not a screen fault but a firmware/update problem. I found an app called dropdownstatusbar available from the play store which you can place on your homescreen and will pull down the menu for you. It will save you unnecessarily replacing a screen and will keep your phone working until Sony release the next update to fix this problem 

Exactly. Thanks for your suggestion about the app. At least now I can bring down the notification/status bar on the Home screen of the phone (I have the Z3C D5833).

I have recorded a video of the issue, Sony, so if you want to see the problem in action let me know and I'll send it to you.

I highly doubt Sony will release an update to fix this problem though. The Z3 Compact no longer receives updates to the main Android OS (not going beyond 6.0.1) so I imagine it won't be long until it is no longer supported at all.

My confidence in them has been completely eroded by their actions.

One time poster
Message 315 of 338
Message 315 of 338

This is absolutely unacceptable Sony!!

Mine is still within waranty by 6 months. I'm in the UK. Sent the phone to them to fix and they sent a quote for £120!! Or £20 to get the phone back.

Never buying a Sony phone again.

One time poster
Message 316 of 338
Message 316 of 338

I have the exact same problem on a Sony Xperia XA1:  I can pull down the notification/settings shade on the lockscreen (100% of the time), but can not ever pull it down in any other circumstances [see edit below].  I have carried out the usual Factory Reset / Diagnostics steps - they are not of any help.

I sympathise with you, @foosrgsrg, re: the charge to retrieve your handset.  This post (74018484) on MoneySavingExpert talks about the penalty (£20.54 or confiscation of the equipment) that Sony can impose at their discretion:  http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74018484

Personally, I was lucky to have bought the phone from Amazon, so didn't have to deal with Sony's warranty process.

There are other niggly problems with touchscreen interaction on the XA1:  if the phone is laid flat, it often can't detect continuous swipes (such as using a pattern to unlock the phone or using "gesture typing") - these are often registered as a series of individual touches - until the phone is brought to a more vertical position, which is an annoying and only partially-successful remedy.

These problems were not all evident when the phone was first bought (end of 2017); they have been introduced or exacerbated through subsequent software upgrades.  The handset is currently running 40.0.A.6.189 (Android version is 7.0).

EDIT:

Immediately after writing this post, I accidentally worked out that, if I'm on the lockscreen and I drag down from the middle of the screen (i.e. not from top edge, but from the middle of the clock), I'm prompted to unlock the screen and am immediately presented with the Notification Shade!

Of course, if I then dismiss the Shade, I can no longer access it until I lock the screen again ...

One time poster
Message 317 of 338
Message 317 of 338

Re: Problem to access notification in Portait mode

The proposed solution is not a solution!

Same problem, definitely software not hardware related.

Turn phone sideways to access menu. 

If locked to portrait mode you will never see the menu ever again!

Apprentice
Message 318 of 338
Message 318 of 338

Please restart your phone, this should fix most issues. After that try booting in safe mode. Then you can try PC companion to repair your software.

Sorry, just practicing for my interview with Sony as a tech advisor.

It appears Sony have some questions to answer; my partner's XA1 cannot access the the drop down in portrait unless from lock screen (well, I can get it if I place my thumb OUTSIDE the screen, between the "S" and the camera, hold for about one second, then drag down) and my own XZpremium has developed screen burn at the volume rocker and power button after just five months. If Sony are now boasting the same software issues as Samsung and Apple - what have they got left going for them? And where do I go now?? Huawei?! 

Apprentice
Message 319 of 338
Message 319 of 338

Further diagnostics: as well as having full uninhibited access as normal to the drop down menu whilst in lockscreen, I have also discovered that by activating "zoom" mode, I have full access to drop down menu.

This persists whilst booted in Safe mode. 

This is irrefutable evidence that this is not a hardware fault, either by design or user damage. This is software. 

Apprentice
Message 320 of 338
Message 320 of 338

This issue is not solved. 

The "solved" notification must be removed from this thread, it is in breach with the guidelines for the forum.