account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Status bar/Notification pull down difficult in home screen

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 301 of 343
Message 301 of 343

Navigation system buttons and dropdown menu stopped working!

Hello, first I wanna say, that I saw other similar posts but they are pretty dead by now, also I wanna put more details about my case.

Recently my dropdown system menu stopped working, I cant drag it down. I tried test screen apps, and it seems that top part of the screen where menu is, is not responsive. Im pretty sure there was auto system update a bit before it stopped working. I had no time to report it, and It wasnt huge problem since I still could use my phone.

Then some time after that, new system update came out, and my navigation system button stopped working - with this defect I pretty much cant use my phone at all. I had protective screen with rubber case, phone is in perfect condition. I removed screen protection just because I thought maybe its the cause of the problem, when removing it I broke it and it turned out it wasnt cause (so I already lost some money without a reason). Fyi I dont even have a scratch on the screen. I know its not a hardwere problem, because when phone is locked bottom part of the screen does work, also from reading other posts they pretty much imply its not a hardware, so please dont even mention faulty screen.

Software repair by using PPC has no point, because "Software repair will reinstall the system software on your device using the latest available version" - and it seems that latest version of the software is a reason its broken. Anyway I tried software repair, and my system buttons were working just for few seconds, and now it stopped working again!

Glove mode HELPS but its not a fix, I have to press like 5-30 times in order to trigger one click on nav system buttons. Safe mode didnt fix or change anything.

My guarantee recently expired, and Im not planning to pay Sony support because of some software update. So please provide a solution. You could tell us how to go back in system version.

Apprentice
Message 302 of 343
Message 302 of 343

Re: Navigation system buttons and dropdown menu stopped working!

Whats the point of moving NOT SOLVED topic to SOLVED topic, especially when it did NOT SOLVE the issue.

Just tell us how to choose what OS version we want to install, or reverse broken code from recent updates.

Enthusiast
Message 303 of 343
Message 303 of 343

This isn't solved.

I had the mine fixed in warranty in September 2016 (display replaced, from the report).

Starting from last week I lost AGAIN the possibility to drop down the notification bar... and recently I din't installed any update. Furthermore I'm using the slimm rom from XDA, so not properly the stock one.

Unfortunately i have to say this is a HW issue. I'm pretty sure (not completely, I can't)

I can't know if it is due to the poor quality of the lcd/touch panel or something inside the phone that during the time "push" the lcd/touch.

At the moment I'm still using it, zooming the top (using the magnifier) in order to drop down the navigation bar.

In case I'll try replacing bymyself the lcd panel

Apprentice
Message 304 of 343
Message 304 of 343

@sverza yes dropdown might be HW issue, but navigation system buttons is not. Thing is I can kinda live without dropdown menu, but without system buttons I cant do anything tbh. Perhaps this topic should be divided tyo dropdown and nav system buttons.

Enthusiast
Message 305 of 343
Message 305 of 343

Notification bar and navigation bar are basically afflicted by the same issue (on mine, last year, started with the navigation bar, sometime, then always and then also the issue was at the notification bar).

So I'm expecting in some time my display will lose also the nav bar. Someone reported the whole screen was broken...

There are different apps that can help you in using the nav bar even if the stock one isn't working

Apprentice
Message 306 of 343
Message 306 of 343

Not a solution but best workaround in my opinion for navigation buttons is here: https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/Sony-z3-compact-xperia-back-and-home-button-not-wor... (message 423, by Mk2017).

My buttons does work normally after this (without any glove mode etc.), of a small cost of bottom of the screen. I think good workaround while hopefully waiting for correct solution.

Learner
Message 307 of 343
Message 307 of 343

I'd say this was hardware, but a search arounf the interwebs reveals this happened to others exactly like it happened to mine - after a firmware update.

I suspect there are different touch panel components used in different manufacturing batches of the devices, with slightly different "geometries", and the firmware is designed for only one of them. I'm sure it's a simple calibration issue that could be fixed in software,

One time poster
Message 308 of 343
Message 308 of 343

Hi Arthez,

My phone has literally done what you have metioned tonight. THe navigation bar stopped working a month or two ago and today just lost the navigation buttons on the bottom (The Home key, multi window view key and the back key). I too took of my expensive covers and screen protectors but that wasn't the cause of the issue.

How can Sony release software and then want us to wipe clean our phone and then re-install the crap that doesn't even work!

@Sony - this is not a solved case. So please actually solve the people's problems!

One time poster
Message 309 of 343
Message 309 of 343

This is really unbelievable! Our family has two Z3 compact. Both phones started to have a problem with pulling notification bar in october. And SONY is just sending their customers to repair center?!

Sorry, but these are our last phones from Sony even though I was satified with my "big" Z3.

Learner
Message 310 of 343
Message 310 of 343

Re: Z3C D5803 the notification status bar cannot pull down

I Have this same problem. I can drag down fine when the screen is on the lock screen however when I unlock the phone it won't pull down the status bar. This means it is not a screen fault but a firmware/update problem. I found an app called dropdownstatusbar available from the play store which you can place on your homescreen and will pull down the menu for you. It will save you unnecessarily replacing a screen and will keep your phone working until Sony release the next update to fix this problem