account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Setting SD card as default saving location

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 25
Message 1 of 25

Setting SD card as default saving location

Hello,

Right now the camera app on my Z3 compact is the only app saving on my SD card. When I download files or the stuff from whatsapp, everything is saved on the phone. With my last mobil I could choose the default to be either the phone or the card. Is there anything like that on the Z3 compact? The first time I used the cam after I put in the SD card the app asked if I wanted to save on the card from now on. I would like that for the other apps aswell. 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 2 of 25
Message 2 of 25

Re: Setting SD card as default saving location

Sorry but most of the apps save to internal memory,but now with 5.0 I think it is up to the developers to provide this.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Message 2 of 25

Sorry but most of the apps save to internal memory,but now with 5.0 I think it is up to the developers to provide this.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

View solution in original post

Genius
Message 3 of 25
Message 3 of 25

Hi Hephi, welcome to the community!

After downloading the apps you can transfer them to the SD card (if the app developer allows this)  through File commander or by going into Settings > Apps > tap the desired App > tap Move to SD card. There is no way to make the apps store to SD card by default.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 4 of 25
Message 4 of 25

@SophiaW Still,moving apps to SD card isn't exactly what it seems:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Apps-moved-to-SD-card-still-reserve-space-in-interna...

Commissioner
Message 5 of 25
Message 5 of 25

@SophiaW wrote:

Hi @Hephi, welcome to the community!

After downloading the apps you can transfer them to the SD card (if the app developer allows this)  through File commander or by going into Settings > Apps > tap the desired App > tap Move to SD card. There is no way to make the apps store to SD card by default.

how to do it from file commander? can't find a way.

Genius
Message 6 of 25
Message 6 of 25

Hi 

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 7 of 25
Message 7 of 25

I know I can transfer apps to the SD card, but that's not what I meant. I'm looking for a default setting, so that when I download something, or install a new app, the phone first tries to save it on the SD card. Only if the app does not allow this and needs to be saved on internal storage does it do so. This way I would need to check every app myself if I can transfer it to SD card.

Like I said, both my old mobiles, htc and Huawei, had this setting and I'm a bit disappointed that Sony doesn't seem to have this option.

Genius
Message 8 of 25
Message 8 of 25

Hephi, I do understand however there is no default setting unfortuantely - you are only able to transfer them over individually at this stage. 

Visitor
Message 9 of 25
Message 9 of 25

downloads cannot be stored directly to microSD

I cannot save my downloads on the SD card i installed,this is newly bought and works perfectly on my samsung tab..is there any default options about download directories on z3?, i cannot find anything on storage settings.
Message 10 of 25
Message 10 of 25

Re: downloads cannot be stored directly to microSD

@gboi I have merged your topic here as this has been asked before,please take a look.