account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Screencast simply DOESN'T work!!

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Screencast simply DOESN'T work!!

Just received my Z3 Compact & I must say I am very disapointed :-(

The box arrived all squashed (not Sony's fault I know) with a distinctive rattle noticable before opening (this didn't bode too well) but I was far from impressed with the Sony packaging.

Opened up & everything seemed ok thank goodness.

Powered the phone on & while doing so realised that just how slippery these things are when I very nearly dropped it - again not impressed.

On boot up it downloads an update & let me logon with my Google account - it then starts downloading EVERY SINGLE app I have ever tried from the Play store  !!! Not sure if this is an error on behalf of myself, Google or Sony but no other mobile I have had (& I have had plenty) has done such a thing - again very disapointed.

Thing I really wanted from this mobile apart from the the camera & waterproofing (motorbike rider & in the UK things get wetter than wet at times - everything!!) was the "Chromecast - screen cast" which had just been announced before I placed my order (& convinced me to take the plunge) - But this feature simply WILL NOT WORK!!

All I get is "No compatable Google Cast devices were found on your network"!! I had just cast to my Chromecast from the same mobile without a problem but to cast the screen it simply won't find my Chromecast dongle - RUBBISH!!!

I've not had this Z3 Compact an hour yet but I've decided it's going back - it feels far too delicate for everyday use - it's simply not big enough for my ageing eyes & I am disapointed with my initial usage of the device.

Sorry Sony but you've not done it for me with this mobile I'm happy with my Xperia Tablet but the compact side doesn't suit.

Good luck to all you Z3 Compact  owners. I hope you have steady hands or stay well away from hard surfaces.

6 REPLIES 6
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Screencast simply DOESN'T work!!

Casting the Z3C screen  to Chromecast works just fine here via Settings > Xperia Connectivity > Cast Screen. All very smooth and responsive, minimal lag. But I guess it's too late to try to trouble-shoot this with you now.

As for the back, I've put a carbon fibre/vinyl decal on it (£4.99) and it's much better in the hand, plus no fingerprints. Otherwise most peeps will probably put a case on it, as they do for the soap bar slippery aluminium iPhones.

Adept
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Casting works flawlessly for me too.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

After my disapointment with the Compact I am now thinking that the full monty man sized (not the girly sized) Z3 might well be the mobile for me.

Prefer the build of the Sony to that of the Note3/4 which was another option.

One time poster
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Is it possible to screencast and have the screen off on the xperia device while watching on TV
Inhabitant
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

I don't know if this thread is still active at all or has found any solutions for screen mirror/casting problems for certain Sony mobiles, but I'm hoping so. 

I've been using a Z5 for the last 2 years and absolutely no problems with casting to my TV which happens to be Sony Bravia, as I expected to be the case.

Dropped it broke touchscreen got an upgrade to Zx1.. Same settings simply don't work... Cast icon once pressed isn't even finding the TV which is of course connected to the WiFi.. Through settings if ever device did get found nothing happens once selected .. Absolute joke!!!

Please someone this must be a known issue and hopefully a simple fix as it's a main feature ppl use and one of the reasons I'm continuing to go for Sony!!!,Hellloooo!!!!! 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

We bought two phones Xperias L1 and both wouldn't cast to our Sony Smart TV (Tv is only 9 months old) we contacted Sony and basically after many email exchanges their answer was to send both phones to them for repair.  What, 2 new phones both need repairing, is it some sort of joke, well it isn't apparently theres a software issue and the phones either need to go through a software repair that will wipe all your information off the phone or they need to be sent back to Sony for repair.  One faulty phone is acceptable but two is discustion to say the least.  Sony's final answer is take them back to the shop for refunds, fantastic customer service that isn't it.

We will never buy another Sony product after this.

Final conclusion is if you want the phone to cast using it's built in cast system then don't hold your breath it's never happening, the feature simply doesn't work.