account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Screen goes black when making a call

Message 71 of 298
Message 71 of 298

Re: My phone screen goes black when I make a call or have an incoming one

There are so many threads about this. Do you have a flip cover or a screen protector?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Forum Legend
Message 72 of 298
Message 72 of 298

Re: My phone screen goes black when I make a call or have an incoming one

when did you start noticing the problem?
did you happen to have a screen protector?
are you covering the proximity sensor during the call.?
try disabling smart call handling... settings> calls> smart call handling

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
One time poster
Message 73 of 298
Message 73 of 298

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

In my case I read somewhere (xperia z) that the problem was related to the light sensor being either covered by a screen protector or dirty. On my Xperia z3 Compact the light sensor is in the upper right corner of the screen. When I cleaned that area of the screen with a screen cleaner and soft cloth, the phone stopped blanking the screen whenever I dialled a call.

Krgds

Jan

Learner
Message 74 of 298
Message 74 of 298

I tried the tap ear proximity test but it didn't work. Screen still goes black.
Learner
Message 75 of 298
Message 75 of 298

Flip cover
Rookie
Message 76 of 298
Message 76 of 298

Z3 - fixed by:

- Doing a reset by pressing power + upper volume for 3 sec

- Before powering up I washed thoroughly the top part front cover (just running water), including sensor and ear/speaker area

Tested, works.
One time poster
Message 77 of 298
Message 77 of 298

I have this issue and my proximity sensor is always turned on regardless of what is or is not near the phone. I have no case and because the prox switch is just set to on all I get are black screens ... Is there a fix to this?
Rookie
Message 78 of 298
Message 78 of 298

I take this back. The fault came back after a few calls. Now the screen goes blank with every call again.

Sony should release a fix where one can disable the proximity sensor completely. Better that than this current letdown.
One time poster
Message 79 of 298
Message 79 of 298

Problem with the ear proximity what to do

Message 80 of 298
Message 80 of 298

I have the same problem too,im unable to listen to my voicemails due to the screen going black so im unable to use the dialpad. I don't have any protectors on the phone whatsoever. I run the ear proximity test and it failed, any suggestions please.