account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Screen goes black when making a call

Visitor
Message 31 of 302
Message 31 of 302

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

Tapping the power button twice turns on the screen for me. Not that Im happy with this "fix".

One time poster
Message 32 of 302
Message 32 of 302

The first one Z3 compact I've bought before my holiday because I wanted to do underwater pictures in swimming pool. It got broken on the first day of my holiday, after a few shots in swimming pool. In UK there is no service you can go and show or explain what happened,  so I needed to send it to repair center. I received a new one after two weeks. Now, two months later I have another problem with screen getting dark and locked every tume I try to make or pick up the call. I tried every solution from that forum and NOTHING HELPS! If I reach somebodys voicemail I'm recording a few minutes messages because I can not switch it off!!! I need to pressing power button for a few minutes until it finally work. During conversation I can not mute, hold and use speakers. No mention using any of app. This is very annoying that there is no one I can show it and discuss it about it. And I can't send them mobile for yet another two weeks! I also see no reason why should I do all the complicated tests and system recovery procedures and waste my time for them if I can clearly see that it's a common problem with Z3. And yes, it's started after last software update. very disappointed with sony, will never buy it again!

One time poster
Message 33 of 302
Message 33 of 302

I have got the same problem and the solutions mentioned above doesen't seem to help. It started after the last update. It is fine for a cuple of minutes if pushing the top left corner hard. Apparently a somehow loose front cover is bothering the new version.  This is something Sony need to get a solution to as it is devastating for making calls, tapping numbers while calling and answering machines. Please come with a solution. This can not wait.

One time poster
Message 34 of 302
Message 34 of 302

Same problem here need a fix, **bleep** embarrassing. Almost half of my calls will have me on their answer phone saying turn on you crap thing.sort it out Sony.
Learner
Message 35 of 302
Message 35 of 302

Hm. My wife has the same problem on xperia Z1. It's totally software bug.
One time poster
Message 36 of 302
Message 36 of 302

Hello,
I also suffer from the same issue, the proximity test is OK but the screen goes of directly after initiating a call before putting the phone on my ear
Please suggest another solution.
Thanks
One time poster
Message 37 of 302
Message 37 of 302

I had the same problem on my phone, the problem causing this was that the screen was loose from the frame, causing the proximity sensor to malfunction, if you try and press gently on the top left corner without covering the proximity sensor, the screen will not go Black. My permanent fix for this was a touch of glue in the top left corner

One time poster
Message 38 of 302
Message 38 of 302

I have the same issue with my Xperia Z, and now with my Z3. It seems like the screen comes loose on the top left corner of the phones frame. To test, use your left hands thumb and index finger to hold the screen down onto the phone to seat it properly, and you will find that it works fine. Check that your screen isnt coming loose, mine has twice.

Learner
Message 39 of 302
Message 39 of 302

Hi Xperia, Judging by the number of mentions online on a multitude of sites this is a continuing problem. I'm currently purchasing a new phone even though my own " Xperia Z3" is a month old. I'm losing work on account of this recurring problem. A disgrace for such a reputable company.

Visitor
Message 40 of 302
Message 40 of 302

I had the same problem with my brand new Sony Xperia z3 just a black screen when I tried to make calls nothing would work but my daughter told me to check my settings and make sure that the back light mode is turned on I felt so silly as I been trying everything for a whole day so u have you checked that? As I have got fully working phone now... Settings - display - backlight.... Hope that works for you to