account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black when making a call

Visitor
Message 301 of 308
Message 301 of 308

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

i removed screen protector from my phone and it worked for me

One time poster
Message 302 of 308
Message 302 of 308

Same problem but fixed it when reading another answer. Ensure ear proximity setting was on and then checked the sensor top right above screen. It had the smallest bit of screen protection over the edge of the sensor.  As.soon as I cut the edges so the sensor was untouched, voila!! Works 100%!!!

Inhabitant
Message 303 of 308
Message 303 of 308

I'm pleased for you, but my Sony M4 Aqua went back to my provider who, in the engineers' dept., said they'd found the fault and fixed it, but who in the customer services dept. said there was nothing wrong with it.  I took it to the provider's shop, they had it for four hours and reset it to factory setting and proudly told told me 'It's fixed!'.  I said 'Great!  Make a call to make sure'....and the screen went black and no calls could be made!  I changed the screen covers three times, no joy;  I contacted Sony, no joy.  I left my provider and got rid of the  phone, I went to another provider who gave me another make of phone...RESULT!!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 304 of 308
Message 304 of 308

Hello everyone and sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

@Me02, have you tried any of the previous troubleshooting posted in this thread? A good place to start is to make sure that nothing is covering the proximity sensor (screen protector or case) or that there is any moisture on the sensor.

On the link below you can see where the sensor is placed on your Xperia Z3 Compact (number 2).

https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiaz3compact/userguide/phone-overview---d5803d5833/

Keep me posted! Slightly smiling Face

@hamideh, I'm glad to hear that!

Do you know if it worked with the same screen protector before? It's important to use a screen protector that is especially made for the Xperia Z3 Compact so the cut outs are in the correct place for all the sensors.

@JayWit, awesome! Slightly smiling Face

The sensor is very sensitive and if it covered even just slightly, it won't work correctly!

@Rhodesia10578, sorry to hear that. Slightly frowning Face

Do you know if an authorized technician examined the device? Most of the time it's not caused by the software and in most cases it's caused by the sensor being covered by something or that there is a hardware defect.

I do really hope your new device will work correctly though! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 305 of 308
Message 305 of 308

I believe my screen protector was dirty. A couple days ago I changed that with a new one and my phone just fixed.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 306 of 308
Message 306 of 308

Hi again @hamideh!

Thank you so much for this information and yeah, even the smallest amount of dirt may cause the sensor to not work, but it's never bad with a new screen protector either! Slightly smiling Face

Have a nice day!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 307 of 308
Message 307 of 308

I recently had same issue.

it appeared when I setup security with a schema. parameters/security/schema
It seems schema security and call app can't work together.

To solve the problem on my xperia Z ultra :
You cannot remove security schema if you do not remove credentials : parameters/security/clear credentials (for me in french it is réglage/sécurité/effacer les identifiants)
Then when you are making a call, the screen becomes black, to view your screen again, press once on the power button then press on volume level button.

So, do not use schema when setting security lock on your screen .

Then I setups security with a pin this time. I do not see any more conflicts between screen lock and call app.
Hope this will help...

Sony Xperia Support
Message 308 of 308
Message 308 of 308

Hi @gg74, welcome to our forum and thank you for sharing this!

I also hope that this will work for some users! Slightly smiling Face

Have a nice day.