account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Screen goes black when making a call

One time poster
Message 251 of 285
Message 251 of 285

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

Had the same problem, they didn't put correctly the screen protector, that's why a sensor above the screen was malfunctioning.

One time poster
Message 252 of 285
Message 252 of 285

This is the exact same thing with my phone. I need the dial pad when I'm calling my local GP to enter a no. to get to the actual practice itself. It's ridiculously annoying. 

Inhabitant
Message 253 of 285
Message 253 of 285

Hi

I agree, it was SOOOOOOO frustrating.  My phone went back to the provider (Virgin, useless) who said there was no fault.  Sony said the same.  TBH, it MUST be a design fault as so many people have experienced the same issue.

I went to EE, I have an iphone and haven't experienced a moments trouble.

One time poster
Message 254 of 285
Message 254 of 285

Just remove the screen protcte or glass protector

Visitor
Message 255 of 285
Message 255 of 285

Thank you!! I just bought a Z3 second-hand, and experienced exactly the same thing. Your soft-reset did the trick! Works normally now. Everyone, I highly recommend you try this first, before you try anything else, as it's the least effort - takes all of a few seconds and hopefully your problems solved too. If not then try the other stuff.

One time poster
Message 256 of 285
Message 256 of 285

I've been having this problem with my brand new XZ1. I have a silicone case and curved glass screen protector. As it turns out, it was the screen protector causing the problem. I removed the screen protector and tried a call, screen came on to answer, went black at my ear, and came back on when I took it away from my ear again so I could actually end calls for once!

Rookie
Message 257 of 285
Message 257 of 285

Where is the reset instructions?

I never had this issue before I upgraded the last time a week ago.

Of course I have no "screen protection" or other cover gadgets....It must clearly be fauly software upgrade. 

A colleague had this issue on the same model of phone a few years back so my feeling is that here there is something the software developers have overseen in their last release

Unbelivable that they manage to recreate a problem fixed many years ago..

Inhabitant
Message 258 of 285
Message 258 of 285

I really sympathise, Tan, and I am certain that there must be a design fault..  However, neither my previous provider (Virgin) nor sonymobile accept there is a problem OR responsibility.  So, I terminated my contract with Virgin, and told Sony I would never buy another of their phones, no reply; they couldn't care less.  I went to EE, great phone and great service.

One time poster
Message 259 of 285
Message 259 of 285

Experienced same problem, removed screen protector, no change, got latest sofware upgrade, no change, performed reset to factory default, still no change. Tried to book repair with Sonymobile UK as phone only 3 months old at the time, response said you will receive an email instructing you where to send phone, a month and a half later I'm still waiting. Logged back on in the hope there would be some trace here but all is gone. Sony Customer service is not abysmal, it's non existent! Given the number of people who have suffered the same problem which Sony declare as a non fault should we go for a class action? I somehow believed as they were a major name this must be a quality product and would be supported. Awful!

Inhabitant
Message 260 of 285
Message 260 of 285

Hi 19rob04

I can only sympathise and TOTALLY agree with every word you say.  Sony's customer service is appalling and I have the same opinion as yourself.  I will never have another Sony mobile.

Wish you luck, I changed provider AND phone.  Went to EE and got an iphone and a great deal.

Phil