account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black when making a call

One time poster
Message 171 of 308
Message 171 of 308

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

I had the same problem. Nothing looked like it was blocking the proximity sensor. There was crud on it, couldn't tell because the sensors are black and I use my phone for work so it's in less than desirable shape. I cleaned the sensors, works fine now.
Inhabitant
Message 172 of 308
Message 172 of 308

Hi to Everyone

My sincere thanks to every poster who has offered solutions to the screen-going-blank problem on my Sony Experia M4 Aqua. Many of the replies relate to the proximity sensor, which begs the questions; why are there EIGHTEEN pages of proximity sensor problems?  Why haven't Sony solved this issue??  Why have SO many people had problems?

Well, I've solved the problem, and my phone now works perfectly...I dumped the Sony and got an Apple iPhone!

Many thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.  

Good luck and God bless

Phil

Apprentice
Message 173 of 308
Message 173 of 308

I have not read the replies on this thread so this post may be a repeat of what is covered already or not relevant but I will post it in case it helps someone. I had the following problem.

Xperia 3Z Compact screen would go blank when making a call. The call would go through but all functions were disabled or inaccessible, coming back to normal after a few minutes. The same happened with some incoming calls.

Sony support offered no solution that worked and eventually I went to a local repair shop, McStyle. The guy there knew immediately what was wrong. The screen had become partially detached but you would never see it unless you knew what you were looking for. A little bit of glue was applied and I picked up the phone in one hour later, after the glue had dried. It has worked perfectly so far.

Surprise that Sony support was so poor, as was the product itself, the Xperia Z3 Compact.

Visitor
Message 174 of 308
Message 174 of 308

I had this problem with my first Z3 Compact handset. With black screens and unable to terminate calls, after attempts to deal with the issue as a 'software' problem, the upper front screen plastic was observed to have physically lifed away from the surrounding case housing. I returned the phone to SONY who replaced it under warranty. 

Visitor
Message 175 of 308
Message 175 of 308

I've had my Z3 for 2 years and never had a problem - until now.  The dreaded black screen!

I had my phone in a cover until about 3 weeks ago when the cover broke.  So I'm not sure if dirt is to blame or whether it's a software upgrade issue.  What I do know is this problem is very annoying.

I've tried everything recommended on this forum so far but nothing has resolved my black screen problem.

Hope that, together, we can find a solution.

Sandy.

Visitor
Message 176 of 308
Message 176 of 308

Now when I press the top of the screen (where it says SONY on my Z3 the black screen vanishes and the problem is resolved  - but as soon as I stop pressing the black screen returns!

One time poster
Message 177 of 308
Message 177 of 308

Black screen when making a phone call.

Hi,
Every time I make a phone call the screen goes black.
I can't press anything on the screen to hang up if the other callers phone goes to voicemail, I have to try and turn the phone off using the buttons on the side of the phone.
Any solutions greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.
Rookie
Message 178 of 308
Message 178 of 308

Re: Black screen when making a phone call.

Heslo, I have the same troubles. Have you ever any solution for this? Thanks
Inhabitant
Message 179 of 308
Message 179 of 308

Hi Horndog

Thanks for your message, and for the advice.  I've actually stopped using this awful phone and changed providers.  I used to be happy with Virgin Mobile, now I wouldn' touch them with a forty-foot pole, carefully disinfected and with a china insulator in the middle.  I have NO satisfaction from them whatsoever.

I found out by accident that, in my case, pressing the top left hand corner of the screen seemed to bring the normal screen back but, just like you, as soon as I released pressure it started playing silly-bu**ers again!!

Happy now with an Apple iPhone!!

Thanks for your help

Phil

One time poster
Message 180 of 308
Message 180 of 308

I had the same problem in my phone. I was lucky it happened during the warranty time. They replace the sreen and now it is quite ok again.