account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black when making a call

Forum Legend
Message 151 of 310
Message 151 of 310

Re: my mobile sensor not work?

That is supposed to happen  , the proximity sensor works by turning off the display when you place the phone near to your ear while you are on call to prevent accidental touch.

however you can try to run Xperia diagnostics to see if the sensors are working

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
One time poster
Message 152 of 310
Message 152 of 310

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

The problem on my phone was caused by the screen was starting to come loose in upper left corner - it was hardly noticeable if it wasn't for the black screen problem when phoning. For a start I followed all the wrong advice re-installing software from PC-companion, using proximity calibrations tools,  etc. but finally I dared to add a drop of superglue into the gap and press the screen down. Now the problem seems to have gone completely - it works fine with both the proximity test, as well as actually calling people. I hope the glue-fix  lasts for a long time!  Be careful wih the amounts of glue, not to spill on the actual sensor nor spilling into the usb port! Good luck!

Inhabitant
Message 153 of 310
Message 153 of 310

I had the same problem with my M4.  The manageress at the Virgin shop even tried resetting to factory settings, but had to tell me when she gave me the phone back 'It's still doing it!'

Contacted Virgin Mobile, they sent an envelope and I sent the phone off to them.  I received some conflicting messages, but within 4-5 days I was sent a NEW phone....which did the same thing!!  Screen goes blank on making a call (frequently), re-calling a number (frequently), basically it messes me about intermittantly, but usually when the above functions are used.  I just have to keep pressing the silver button.  A Virgin guy updated the software, since then...it' DONE EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!!!!

One time poster
Message 154 of 310
Message 154 of 310

This happened to my Z5 over last week... little did I know it was caused by a new glass screen guard I bought. A web search talked about a sensor being covered, that's when the idea came that it could be a screen guard issue. Indeed when I returned phone to vendor, he ripped off the guard and phewww, phone was normal again! Before this, I nearly had wanted to flush this phone down the drain! It was excruciatingly frustrating to use!
Inhabitant
Message 155 of 310
Message 155 of 310

Well, I'm very happy for you, but I don't have a screen guard, I use screen wipes to ensure the sensor is clear, the repair tem at Virgin say they can't find anything wrong with it, they sent me a new phone, same problem, and today they sent me a new sim...all of which has made FA difference.

One time poster
Message 156 of 310
Message 156 of 310

Hi all

Just a little maybe on the painful black screen calling

I have also suffered from the black screen when calling but it is intermettent .

the screen used to come back on when i plugged in my charging cable but then that stopped

it used to light up when i pressed the power button then that stopped..

I dont have a problem with the top left corner coming apart .. i dont need glue

So i got 6-7 bristles from a clean brush and fiddled and fidgeted into the top of the speaker of my Xperia Z5 the i got my Vaccum and tried to  out any dust or gunk from the top speaker....

So far so good its working..

Becareful when inserting the bristles dont push them in too far it might damage something... Just be careful if you try this tip.. 

Peace n Love  Slightly smiling Face

One time poster
Message 157 of 310
Message 157 of 310

Had the same issue with an M4 Aqua. Was caused by screen guard. Removed it and the phone works fine now

Inhabitant
Message 158 of 310
Message 158 of 310

Hi

Thanks for that.  I'm not absolutely sure if I have a screen guard fitted or not.  There was one on the phone I sent for repair, but I'm not convinced I got the same phone back!!

Rookie
Message 159 of 310
Message 159 of 310

Unable to finish phone calls

Hi. I've been experiencing some problems lately with my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Whenever I make a call, the phone's screen would go black (to save energy or whatever) immedietely and it would stay like that when I keep the phone by my ear. The problem is, it stays black even when I want to finish my call. I cannot do anything, buttons do not work and the phone doesn't react to any gesture. The problem is burdensome, especially when nobody picks up the phone. After several signals, voicemail turns on and I cannot do anything to finish the call. I just push power and volume buttons randomly, and sometimes it helps but usually it takes 2 minutes or so.

This is unacceptable. I couldn't find any option in settings to disable blackening of the screen during phone calls. Is it common? What shall I do?

Emperor
Message 160 of 310
Message 160 of 310

Re: Unable to finish phone calls

@Pascal92

Does your phone has a protective case, film or glass that might be covering or partially covering the proximity sensor?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)