account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Screen goes black when making a call

Inhabitant
Message 291 of 299
Message 291 of 299

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

Hi Niki7

I have decided never to have (a)  another Sony mobile and (b) never to use Virgin mobile again.

Maybe you're right about the problem you had, but what annoyed me so much was that neither Sony nor Virgin would admit my phone had a problem.  Virgin said there was nothing wrong with, but theor OWN engineers in a seprate communication said they'd found the fault and fixed it (they hadn't)!  The Virgin Mobile shopsaid they'd fix it.  It was put back to factory settings and generally molested for over 2 hours.  The assistant was so proud when she gave it to me...until I made a call and...the screen went black.  Never again.

Phil

One time poster
Message 292 of 299
Message 292 of 299

You know what helps? Swipe the proximity sensor by finger if screen remains black. The screen goes on usualy after first swipe, sometimes after a few swipes. But it definitely reacts. I think either the sensor has low sensitivity orthe glass itself is obscuring it too much.

It definitely isn't normal behaviour. I didn't find any function able to set the sensitivity of proximity sensor.

I hope this will help.

Rookie
Message 293 of 299
Message 293 of 299

Hello everyone and brushwood to Sony !

I mend it by pressing right coner down and quick glue between screen and phone frame !

One time poster
Message 294 of 299
Message 294 of 299

Menu > Settings > About phone > Diagnostics (Support) > Test Device > Tap Ear Proximity

Noticed while doing this my screen has started lifting. When pushed down, screen comes on!!

Definitely something to do with the sensor in some way.

Inhabitant
Message 295 of 299
Message 295 of 299

Hi Hairyone

I couldn't even LOG IN earlier to acknowledge your message, this is my fourth try!!

I find it a bit sad that people are still having the same issue with Sony mobiles that I had 3-4 years ago, but Sony STILL don't want to accept there is a problem.  I have now got a Huawei from my new provider, my third new phone in 3 years.  They look after me VERY well for £29.00 pm.  I would never have another Sony mobile.

Hope you get sorted 

Phil

One time poster
Message 296 of 299
Message 296 of 299

I have this problem now. Sony wants tp charge me to fix their problem....another lost customer

Inhabitant
Message 297 of 299
Message 297 of 299

enn

I sympathise with your problem.  My phone went back to my provider (Virgin) who said (a)  There was nothing wrong with it and (b) In another email told me that they had located and fixed the problem.  Sony have never even acknowledged a problem with their phones.

Good luck

One time poster
Message 298 of 299
Message 298 of 299

@SunshineRays06 wrote:

Received my mobile device from local service provider about a week and half ago. About 5 days after services were activated and phone was in use, an issue was picked up whenever a call was made, the screen would go black and all functionality on the phone would be disabled. Touching the screen or pressing any of the buttons on the side would not enable the screen to light up again. However, the call being made was still live and active. Issue was initially intermittent but happended everytime a call was made eventually. Tried restarting the phone, tried removing sim card, memory card and even tried tilting the phone while it happens. No luck, as issue persisted. Took the device back to the service provider and was advised that the 7-day return policy applies from the time the phone is in possession irrespective of when services were activated. And obviously by this time my & days were up. The consultant then "tired" to assist and advised he "reset" the phone. Issue continued to persist, irrespective, and screen went black! He advised that the phone is not a computer and it probably happened because i wanted to do "too" much with the phone, meaning i had other applicatoins running while trying to make a call. I tested with some apps running and it still happened, screen went black! I then logged off and stopped any applications and the only thing active and running was the mobile network signal and it still happened, screen went black! This after his comment regarding the excessive use of apps. As a Sony Mobile user I thought and expected that the phone be built with multi-tasking capabilities,. It seems that this has been questioned. So I reckoned it could be a software issue like the consultant said and I upgraded the device software. Tested by making a call and still the screen goes BLACK! I refuse to send the phone in for the issue to be disgnosed at my expense when the phone is not even two weeks old. How does a phone that has hardly even been used already have a short???? And the service probiver and irs consultant have not been much help. Any ideas????. i cannot deal with a BLACK SCREEN every time I make a call. It uses up any mobile funds I have and I dont see anyone returning that, due to this fault. Please HELP!!

Hi, I had the same problem with Xperia M4 Aqua. Just clean with a slightly wet cotton the proximity sensor . It`s next to the sony logo in front of the phone. This worked great. I hope will help you too.

Inhabitant
Message 299 of 299
Message 299 of 299

Hi Sunshine

I hope the suggestion from Mask 7204 has helped, but just in case...

Everything you describe is exactly what happened to me THREE YEARS ago!  I was a little more fortunate than you in that I was able to send it to the providers (their expense) who said, in an email, that they could find nothing wrong with the phone.  I also got an email from the provider's engineers who said they had found and rectified the fault!!   The shop staff took the phone for a couple of hours to completely reset the whole shebang.  On collection, the assistant proudly gave me my phone, telling me it was fixed.  I said 'great' and, in front of her, made a call...whereupon the screen went black!!

Sony refuse to acknowledge that there is an inherent fault in some of their models.  Also, there have been many considerate people who have found solutions to this issue, but we shouldn't NEED them.  I will not have ANY Sony mobile phone.  I have a different provider who gave me a Huawei as part of the contract, and I've had NO issues at all.

Good luck

Phil