account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Screen goes black when making a call

One time poster
Message 1 of 279
Message 1 of 279

Screen goes black when making a call

Received my mobile device from local service provider about a week and half ago. About 5 days after services were activated and phone was in use, an issue was picked up whenever a call was made, the screen would go black and all functionality on the phone would be disabled. Touching the screen or pressing any of the buttons on the side would not enable the screen to light up again. However, the call being made was still live and active. Issue was initially intermittent but happended everytime a call was made eventually. Tried restarting the phone, tried removing sim card, memory card and even tried tilting the phone while it happens. No luck, as issue persisted. Took the device back to the service provider and was advised that the 7-day return policy applies from the time the phone is in possession irrespective of when services were activated. And obviously by this time my & days were up. The consultant then "tired" to assist and advised he "reset" the phone. Issue continued to persist, irrespective, and screen went black! He advised that the phone is not a computer and it probably happened because i wanted to do "too" much with the phone, meaning i had other applicatoins running while trying to make a call. I tested with some apps running and it still happened, screen went black! I then logged off and stopped any applications and the only thing active and running was the mobile network signal and it still happened, screen went black! This after his comment regarding the excessive use of apps. As a Sony Mobile user I thought and expected that the phone be built with multi-tasking capabilities,. It seems that this has been questioned. So I reckoned it could be a software issue like the consultant said and I upgraded the device software. Tested by making a call and still the screen goes BLACK! I refuse to send the phone in for the issue to be disgnosed at my expense when the phone is not even two weeks old. How does a phone that has hardly even been used already have a short???? And the service probiver and irs consultant have not been much help. Any ideas????. i cannot deal with a BLACK SCREEN every time I make a call. It uses up any mobile funds I have and I dont see anyone returning that, due to this fault. Please HELP!!

278 REPLIES 278
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 279
Message 2 of 279

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

Try performing a system repair using PC Companion as this will often fix issues - This will factory reset your phone

Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Forum Legend
Message 3 of 279
Message 3 of 279

If the above fails then you need to either return your device to the place of purchase or contact Xperia care http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 279
Message 4 of 279

Hi SunshineRays06,

Welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

Have you tested the Proximity sensor on the device, as this sounds like it may be related. 

Try the following.

Menu > Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test Device > Tap Ear Proximity

If this fails, make sure to remove any covers or Screen protectors and then test again, if it does work, then the Proximity sensor was being covered or obstructed.

Let us know how you get on with both instructions if required.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 5 of 279
Message 5 of 279

i had similar problem sometimes while calling little fingers hovering over the top part of phone will bring black screen. however it was gone if i remove my fingers. sometimes it blocks sometimes it doesn't which really hard to bring it for a repair when it is intermittent like this.

Message 6 of 279
Message 6 of 279

There is no plastic cover on the sensor or any third party software installed yet on my brand new Mobile that I bought yesterday while I have the same problem. I've mistakenly pressed number and couldn't end the call.
One time poster
Message 7 of 279
Message 7 of 279

I've been having the same problem during phone calls. The screen goes black, can't end calls, can't look up other numbers, can't do anything until the person on the other line ends the call. I followed pretty much every suggestion from others posts about the same issue and sometimes it gets fixed but it only stays that way for a short period of time.It has become a nuisance and I've become disappointed from an other wise really nice phone. I find it inexcusable that a company as prestigious as SONY is has this kind of problems. Is there a real effective solution to this issue, or should I give up and get a different phone??
One time poster
Message 8 of 279
Message 8 of 279

I am also facing the same problem and despite removing the plastic guard, it doesn't go away. It was never the case till a couple of weeks back. Really frustrating.

One time poster
Message 9 of 279
Message 9 of 279

Hi, my girlfriend has just bought the Z3 and had the same issue..

Try removing any cases and covers and performing a soft reset on the handset (power button and volume up for two seconds until handset vibrates three times) then turn the phone back on.

Run the diagnostic test again hopefully it should work. Well it fixed my girlfriends and has been fine since anyway.

My thoughts are its a software issue not a hardware one but try to avoid cheap covers as these can put pressure on parts of the mobile if fitting too tightly. Hope this helps in anyway.
Message 10 of 279
Message 10 of 279

I have this problem too ! I think it has got to do something with the most recent update since this issue started right after the update !

Already put me in an embarrasing situation where i ended up by mistake calling someone who i did not intend too ! and wasn't able to cancel the call at all since the screen was completely black !!