account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Screen goes black when making a call

One time poster
Message 261 of 299
Message 261 of 299

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

I have the Z3 Compact and the XZ. Both have had the same problems. Firstly, I was told it was the proximity sensor. The XZ phone (still in warranty) went off for repair twice and each time, in less than a week, the problem returned. Its now in for the third time but i have no confidence in it working properly. This last time, I was told if not the proximity sensor, it would be the screen protector (I dont have one!) or possibly the case. I have a Sony case, the sensor is on the front of the phone, and as I don't make calls with the screen covered, this seems a complete red herring. Ive refused to pay to have my Z3 compact repaired by them as i may as well throw themoney away. These are not isolated problems with the Sony phones. I have lots of friends experiencing the same difficulties. My advice is to buy a different make of phone. The customer service is poor,they take no responsibility for faults, and charge you for repairs you shouldn't have to be making!

Inhabitant
Message 262 of 299
Message 262 of 299

Hi Saygrays

I agree with ecery word you say re. Sony.  I would never have believed that a brand with such a reputation would behave in the manner that they do.  No one at Sony was prepared to consider that there IS a design fault with their wretched phones; I took mine in AGAIN to my then provider (Virgin) who assured me that they'd fixed the problem by restoring factory settings.  I was delighted, therefore, when the assistant tried to make a test call...and the screen went black!!

My advice, like yours, is stay away from Sony mobiles.  I have an iPhone with EE and have not had a moment of problems.

Visitor
Message 263 of 299
Message 263 of 299

i have the same problem.
Ive tried a few things, then i thought of trying while talking on messenger, to turn of the camera and the screen went black.
Then i put a finger over the sensor, and the screen came on again.
It looks a bit like some kind of reverse settings for the proximity sensor.
I dont know if this works with regular calls or messenger answering "machine" thing.

One time poster
Message 264 of 299
Message 264 of 299

After all that it was the screen protector!! Thanks for your help!! 

Visitor
Message 265 of 299
Message 265 of 299

I have a Sony Experia S (yes, the original after Ericsson) and it has NEVER had a black screen 'problem' until recently (last two months). I would assume, therefore, that it is either an update issue OR some complicity with the carrier service. I have T-Mobile. It seems somewhat peculiar that I get the black screen immediately after 'dialing' the number and the black screen disappears and I regain 'control' exactly 4 seconds into a voice-message or when someone answers the phone. Does this help a provider to ensure that a connection gets charged as a call?  Regardless, it seems as though NOONE at Sony Support has provided an adequate and useful answer despite hundreds of requests for support on this question. (I do miss Ericsson a lot).

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 266 of 299
Message 266 of 299

I don't have a screen protector. What else causes the problem?

One time poster
Message 267 of 299
Message 267 of 299

This is such a long process to fix this and by the complaint from others it does not solve the issue. This is really frustrating. I hope SONY will fix this asap. 

Rookie
Message 268 of 299
Message 268 of 299

Solution found

I have a case that covers only the back of the phone, no screen protector.

I removed the phone case, and cleaned the back of the phone, and the inside of the case with a glass cleaner. The type used for sunglasses. There was some dust there. 

After that, no more black screen. 

One time poster
Message 269 of 299
Message 269 of 299

My case - this issue was caused by non-original - new front cover (display). Purchased over E-bay from China. The proximity sensor (in left top corner) detected the object imediately after the call was estabilished. The bottom area of the cover is black painted and it was sligtly painted over that proximity sensor window as well (you chave to see through by eye).  Solution - take a sharp knife and carrefully remove that black film. Problem solved :-). I can immagine a foulness in theat area will cause the same issue with orriginal Sony cover.

One time poster
Message 270 of 299
Message 270 of 299

The screen of the phone goes black any time making a call even calls on social media and I can't even end a call unless my interlocutor ends the call. I want to know if it's a software or sensor problem and how to solve it because it's embarrassing and confusing .