account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black when making a call

One time poster
Message 231 of 306
Message 231 of 306

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

Hi please remove screen protector or anything covering the sensor! The same situation was going on and I removed the screen protector and it started to work properly. Many thanks to Jake, the Sony representative and I did not do anything else! 

Inhabitant
Message 232 of 306
Message 232 of 306

Hi

You're obviously the ONE person who got lucky!  I didn't HAVE a screen protector, and I took the phone to my provider's shop and THEY couldn't find out what  was the matter!

Glad I got rid of the cursed thing, if you look back on here, there are dozens of people who've had issues with Sony items.

Phil

One time poster
Message 233 of 306
Message 233 of 306

hi, i had a same problem, its a bad contact, display does not hold good in left upper side, must go to servise 

Visitor
Message 234 of 306
Message 234 of 306

I removed glass protector, now it's fine. Solved

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 235 of 306
Message 235 of 306

Hi

If your problem was solved then that's great.  But this MUST be a design fault as SO many people have reported the same issue.  I'm glad that 'Jake' sorted your issue for you, but I'd have been much happier if Sony had admitted there WAS a problem and fixed it!

One time poster
Message 236 of 306
Message 236 of 306

Cannot believe this has worked...for now!!  Thank you very much. (Pressing down on the top left corner of the screen) 

Learner
Message 237 of 306
Message 237 of 306

Deactivate the ear proximity sensor!?!

Hi guys,

my brother has an Xperia Z3 compact and the screen on his mobile always becomes black after he has dialled a number or when he receives a phonecall and has wiped the screen for receiving the call. But there's a main problem that the SCREEN on his mobile IS BROKEN exactly above the proximity sensor. Is there a possibility to deactivate that sensor???

Message 238 of 306
Message 238 of 306

I see many crazy solutions like screen protector, restore factory setting, whereas its obviously a software problem. I don't use a screen protector now, but problem is the same with or without screen protector, even when playing voice msgs or WhatsApp mesgs.

If you insert handsfree it comes back on, and yes the power plus volume button also works. Sometimes tapping the prox sensor repeatedly also works. Come on Sony, please fix your software logic.

One time poster
Message 239 of 306
Message 239 of 306

I had the same problem. In the end I fixed the issue by thoroughly cleaning the area infront of the ear proximity sensor with an earbud. Mine wasn't 100% clean because the tempered glass had a hole in that area and because of the difference in hight between the phone's screen and the tempered glass and the small size of the hole prevented a soft cloth from thoroughly cleaning the area. 

One time poster
Message 240 of 306
Message 240 of 306

Hey i was having the same problem and ive got a tempered glass protector and a case on, but it had been fine for ages with them both on, i just had a closer look and turns out i had something clear and sticky maybe drink splashed and this was directly on my sensor i scraped it off and wiped my whole phone and my screen came back on during a call. It now works fine. So maybe you could try wiping the same black oval on the right of the sony symbol incase its just dirty.

Goodluck.