account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Screen goes black when making a call

One time poster
Message 211 of 305
Message 211 of 305

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

The screen may have come loose - as noted on other threads, it seems to come unstuck or unglued slightly, which means the ear proximity sensor stops working. Try pressing down on the screen at the top to see if it is loose from the rest of the phone

One time poster
Message 212 of 305
Message 212 of 305

During the call, put your finger above the proximity sensor. Now you can use your phone.

One time poster
Message 213 of 305
Message 213 of 305

I have just had this issue start today as far as I know. Went to listen to voice message this morning..........dialled 101 for the message bank and screen went blank when the call connected. 

Only way to stop the call, press the power and volume up buttons at the same time. 

It isn't screen protector as it has been on the phone for the time I have owned it and it isn't coming unglued. Haven't dropped the phone, screen is not borken......GRRRRR!!!

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 214 of 305
Message 214 of 305

Hi ChrisL

I got so frustrated with this phone that I bought out of my contract with the appalling Virgin Mobile and went to EE and an iPhone.  Glad I did!

One time poster
Message 215 of 305
Message 215 of 305

I have a z5 i bought it second hand it worked fine it came in a flip case, when i removed case ...BLACK SCREEN....tried software recovery no good,saw a post on here about screen poorly glued.....pressed very hard on top right corner with finger and thumb.......and no BLACK SCREEN it looks like screen no glued correctly and the phone was being held togeather by the case i removed.

One time poster
Message 216 of 305
Message 216 of 305

Hi,

I tried booting into safe mode and a few other tricks but it did not help.

What did help was to hold the phone with both hands and press both thumbs into the middle of the phone while pulling with your fingers.  Basically trying to bend the phone on the long axis.  it creaked a little and the display came on (while on a phone call).

I guess one too many drops and the frame is loose causing a problem with the proximity sensor.

One time poster
Message 217 of 305
Message 217 of 305

Hello,

I did the Ear proximity test that you recommended. The first time I did it I still had my phone case on. As soon as I started the test my phone started vibrating (without me covering the top of the phone). I took the phone case off and it test worked properly (in other words I had to cover the top of the phone for it to start vibrating.

Having a good case on my phone is very important as the back of the phone has cracks in it. If I put my case on and the issue persists is there a way for me to disable the ear proximity feature?

Thanks for your help. Tom

One time poster
Message 218 of 305
Message 218 of 305

hey there.

I went thru Companion. Installed grant new, last update ver of soft 

This is not working at all.

Any other solution? 

One time poster
Message 219 of 305
Message 219 of 305

Hi, Tom, hope this helps, some of the buisness about loose fitting covers or corner of phone coming away could all be true, but mine is'nt and has'nt been dropped!! So on an earlier post on here, very early, some bloke said to enable backlight in settings, well mine was already on, so I disabled it and now phone stays on when being used, NO BLACK SCREEN !,tried it loads of times and still working for me, daft I know but worth a try, cheers Paul

One time poster
Message 220 of 305
Message 220 of 305

Re: Screen won't light up during calls Z3 Compact

I had to activate the settings for(power button ends calls) just so I would stop calling people accidentally... OOOFT THEY HAVE TO SEND US OUT ANOTHER LINK TO UPDATE THE XPERIA AGAIN BUT FIXING THE BLANK SCREEN DURING CALLS PROBLEM.... PLLLLEASE....