account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Screen goes black when making a call

Rookie
Message 161 of 310
Message 161 of 310

Re: Unable to finish phone calls

Indeed, my phone has silicon case and protective glass in front. Which one could possible cause this problem? I have had etui and glass for 1,5 year or so and the problem emerged 1 or 2 months ago.

Emperor
Message 162 of 310
Message 162 of 310

@Pascal92

Remove it and check again.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 163 of 310
Message 163 of 310

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

I couldn't believe how many same complaints I saw when I finally typed in this problem with my phone, I totally believe that it's simply a Sony cheapdeal with a failure software and they really scammed their customers by selling basically. And it's all started in 2015 when people started realizing it, yet 2 years on they still hasn't stopped. Well done Sony u just really up and they probably gonna get some insurance income as well!!

Inhabitant
Message 164 of 310
Message 164 of 310

The short answer is...I don't know.  The act that there are SIXTEEN pages of people saying the same thing is evidence of some sort of design fault.  Virgin admitted that they have had a large number of people complaing about this phone and the M4 Aqua.  Sony aren't much help, the operator said that I should do a 'software repair' with a USB lead...so I did.  Result...NOTHING!!!  Neither Sony nor Virgin seem to give a stuff!!

Inhabitant
Message 165 of 310
Message 165 of 310

Angrybee, I totally agree with EVERYTHING you say.  Sony have really disgusted me.

Apprentice
Message 166 of 310
Message 166 of 310

I am having the same issue. When I dial a number the screen goes black and it doesn't turn back on until I hold the power button and volume up to reset the phone.
I have done everything except a factory reset.
Inhabitant
Message 167 of 310
Message 167 of 310

Hi Adeelz

I had a factory reset done by the staff in the Virgin shop which is whom I have my contract with.  The manageress gave me the phone back and said 'We've done a factory reset...but it's still doing it'

I also tried, on the advice of a sony mobile operator, a software repair using a USB...NUFFIN!  I'm amazed (and pretty disgusted) that on the Sony forum ON SONY'S OWN WEBSITE that not one comment has been made by the manufaturers/sellers of this.

One time poster
Message 168 of 310
Message 168 of 310

!!! SOLUTION FOUND !!! :-D

Covering the left half hole on top of the screen just above the Sony print.
( and hence the proximity sensor ) Seems to do the trick!
You can cover half the hole with your finger during calls.
Or add a small piece of black tape.

As? the software for the proximity sensor in Lollopop 6 update
seems to operate 'in reverse functionality'. ( Sony. Please fix this.. ;-| )

Some managed just to clean the hole with blue window cleaner
and a cutton pen cut in half. But I had to cover it permanently in order
for the screen to function properly during calls again.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 169 of 310
Message 169 of 310

Hi JonathanFW,

I tried this method and also turned the proximity sensor off using the instructions in the Youtube video below but the screen still goes black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsU1HiTgu78

One time poster
Message 170 of 310
Message 170 of 310

Hallo
I had same problem for little while
I fix it.the problem with my phone was that left top corner of screen had small gab (about 1 mm) from frame due glue malfunction or something.
I had to glue back the screen very tight and it help
Check for gap or try to press top of the phone during the call ( leave light sensor free)