account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Screen goes black when making a call

One time poster
Message 141 of 293
Message 141 of 293

Re: Screen goes black when making a call

I have exactly the same problem, however I figured out what it was and how I've got round it.i went to Menu > Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test Device > Tap Ear Proximity as was mentioned in this forum.On loading up the test, my phone continously vibrated and wouldn't register anything I done. so the test was useless.however I pressed the screen in on the top left of the screen as I realised it had jarred out a wee bit from its outer case and it stopped the vibration.i was able to complete the test and even better,it's a pain but if I hold in the screen I can make calls without blackout.im not sure if this will help but hopefully I does
One time poster
Message 142 of 293
Message 142 of 293

Hi, I'm Daniel. I'm having the same issue as everyone else. I don't have any screen protectors, the screen is actually coming away from the phone in the top left corner but I've pressed it back into place. I have a case for the phone but the issue occurs whether the phone is in the case or not. I've tried the ear proximity test but that does nothing. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to try and fix this.

Rookie
Message 143 of 293
Message 143 of 293

People! I was also having this issue with my Z5 and I found an app that corrected it! Even with my screen protector! I used a recalibration app, called "Redefinir Sensor de Proximidade" (Brazilian portuguese), from Mobile Direction (developer) I found it on the Play Store and recalibrated the proximity sensor. Done! No more black screening! Grinning Face Hope you can solve this problem too, people! Good luck!

r22
One time poster
Message 144 of 293
Message 144 of 293

Hello,

I had the same problem with the dark display on my 1.5 years old Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. Reading the forum

I tested the proximity sensor (Menu > Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test Device > Tap Ear Proximity) and it worked, BUT REVERSE WAY: ON when you do nothing, and OFF when you touch the upper edge of the display.

I noticed, the upper left edge of the display moved from the phone body in about 1-2mm. I twisted the whole phone body and the display lighted on (the sensor worked proper way). In not twisted position the display was dark (sensor worked reverse way).

I decided the sensor read the distance between the moving display and the phone body as an object (ear) and darken the display.

I glued the display to the phone body whit a drop of superglue and - BINGO - it started working proper way.

Cheers! :-)

One time poster
Message 145 of 293
Message 145 of 293

I have a z5 with the same issue and it turns out a setting fixed my black screen issue during call. All I did was turn the smart black Light control on. It's under settings> display>smart black Light. Good luck!!
Visitor
Message 146 of 293
Message 146 of 293

help! my phone just started doing this today and now I cannot make calls. I have had it for about two or three months in a protective case with no issues previously.

I ran the diagnostic test and this is what happens - the notification vibration goes on immediately and never shuts off. i tested with my phone cover on and off. It was the same both times.

What do I do now???

One time poster
Message 147 of 293
Message 147 of 293

I have the Xperia z5 premium, when I call or somebody call the screen turning black... What the problem?
One time poster
Message 148 of 293
Message 148 of 293

This has nothing to do with software. It's a hardware issue. I dropped my phone and the top part of the screen adhesive stop holding the screen. Luckily my screen did not break. Every time I received a call the other party has to hang up or else the calls stays connected and my screen is blank. Only workaround is I press my screen on top right corner to get the display back to dial some extensions or hang up the call. I order couple adhesives tapes from Amazon for z3 to install the screen back firmly. I see this nonsense amateur technician who will misguide you everyday. I.e, I thought I will share my experience. Note: nothing is as simple as Yes or No therefore, your case may be different then mine which require more investigation. Good luck
One time poster
Message 149 of 293
Message 149 of 293

I have a Sony Z Ultra, started doing this where I had to push the power button for it to respond...now that won't work either. Tested ear proximity, works no problem. This started gradually since last update only. Had the same problem with Samsung Galaxy S a long time ago, eventually it went completely unresponsive. The factory reset would work until the updates forced through. Please fix this with an update ASAP
Highlighted
1E
One time poster
Message 150 of 293
Message 150 of 293

my mobile sensor not work?

when i call someone so phone automatically show black screen or when end call its work normally can you help me