account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Remote Play Connection Issues - WiFi / Bluetooth Conflict / Interference?

Inhabitant
Message 101 of 132
Message 101 of 132

Re: Remote Play Connection Issues - WiFi / Bluetooth Conflict / Interference?

Just wanted to test the Z2 tablet with Flight Mode enabled yesterday. Unfortunately at home Remote Play only worked to the point where it starts your PS4 and streams the PS4's menu to the tablet. From that point on I couldn't do anything because the connection was so laggy that I even couldn't manage to turn off the PS4 again via Remote Play. Instead I got a connection loss within seconds several times. I then tested Remote Play again from my girlfriend's apartment several miles away (no Flight Mode) and it worked like a charme. Since I was sitting next to the router (distance roughly 2 metres) this time I even wasn't facing heavy artifacts. the overall experience really came close to sitting on the sofa playing on the TV.

Since playing from my girlfriend's apartment ist the main reason I am using Remote Play everything's fine by now but still I would like to know what caused the heavy interference in my apartment (PS4 cable-connected with the "old" router, additional 5GHz Access Point, judging from Wifi-Analyzer absolutely no interfering 5GHz signal).

@Rickard

Do you have any clue why the Sony GCM-10 Gaming Mount (being a crucial component of the whole Remote Play affair) hasn't been released yet (since Remote Play is available since several weeks now)?

Also do you have an idea when it will be relased?

Inhabitant
Message 102 of 132
Message 102 of 132

Just wanted to let you know that there seems to be a way to get rid of those poor connection issues. I don't know how and if this even works for users who don't use a 5GHz capable router and accordingly are facing not only poor connection issues but also connection losses on a regular basis but I can confirm (found this advice in another thread here) that it considerably improved my connection. As always I couldn't test it for long yet but let me tell you about my experience:

Currently I am playing WWE 2K15 and although I usually don't get a connection loss (I am using Remote Play in my girlfriend's apartment roughly 7 miles away from my PS4) since I am using a 5GHz capable router I am still facing a poor connection here and there where the framerate drops and everything on screen just starts stuttering to a point where you can barely see anything. This only happens every 8 or 9 minutes and just interrupts the action for 5 seconds so I was fine with it. Also the poor connection icon flashes every 3 or 4 minutes without me really noticing any lag. I had these issues in every single match that I did in WWE 2K15. Especially it always happened one time during the Wrestlers' entrances

When doing a match using the settings according to the advice I only got one short stutter for a split second and no "poor connection" icon at all. Since I faced the afore mentioned issues in every single match so far it really seems as this could fix it (but needs more testing anyway) 

All you have to do is this:

Go to [Settings] --> under the point Device you choose [Personalization] --> [Status Bar Icons] --> Disable [Location]

That's all!!!

One time poster
Message 103 of 132
Message 103 of 132

I can't get this working at all either. Tried switching channels. Turning on airplane mode. Nothing works. Slightly frowning Face This was why I bought the z3. Didn't need a new phone but thought this was a cool feature.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 104 of 132
Message 104 of 132

We have now started rolling out a new firmware for the phone which solves an issue with WiFi that may become slower if you also have a mobile data connection at the same time. The availability of the update depends on local and operator approvals so it may not be available for your phone yet but please check for updates under Settings -> About phone -> Software and update if it's available.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 105 of 132
Message 105 of 132

Yeah so I also just got my Xperia z3 and thoght I would try out the remote play option and remote play works awesome until I connect my DS4 contrroller then it plays for a few seconds and shuts right off. I turned off the location icon and in the other options also. Would be nice to get this going just having another option is an added bonus.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 106 of 132
Message 106 of 132

FOUND A SOLUTION. SIMPLY TURN OF LOCATION SERVICES FROM THE SETTINGS MENU. Worked for me straight away after days of crappy lag and disconnecting. Seems the location thing interferes with the wifi. 

Rookie
Message 107 of 132
Message 107 of 132

Agree with the above, came here to post the same. I turned off both background sync and location services and it works a lot better.
Visitor
Message 108 of 132
Message 108 of 132

There is definitely something wrong with the xperia z3. I can connect fine with my vita and even play all the way across the apartment for hours with no issues but my z3v will barely connect even when I'm right by the router.

I have tried turning on airplane mode, disabling any apps and services that are running in the background and removing the aftermarket protective case from my phone.

A couple of times I was able to get the z3v to stay connected for a few minutes without the ds4 connected but as soon I connect the controller, the phone loses the connection to the ps4 and it won't connect to remote play if the ds4 is already connected.

I have tried turning BT on and off and having various devices connected to the vita but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the remote play.

I'd much rather be able to use the z3 with the ds4 though. I really hope Sony finds a way to get this working.

Tomorrow I will try connecting my z3 my network using only the 5ghz band to see if it's any better and report back here but we shouldn't have to do that. The vita works perfectly without any additional configuration to the WiFi network.
Visitor
Message 109 of 132
Message 109 of 132

I tried remote play with my z3 on the 5ghz band and the differnce is like night and day. I was playing Destiny through remote play last night for about an hour without a single issue. This morning I played infamous from my bedroom on the opposite side of the apartment from the router and it worked flawlessly.

It's kind of a bummer that it only seems to work over 5ghz WiFi as I don't know anyone else who has a 5ghz capable router and even if I did the average person isn't going to create a separate ssid for the 5ghz. The range of 5ghz is also much lower than 2.4ghz.

At least I got it working at home now though. I can always bring the vita with me if I want to play away from home. Hopefully Sony can find a way to get the z3 working better over 2.4ghz. We shouldn't have to go to all this trouble to get it working.

For anyone who's curious, my router is an Asus RT-N66U.
One time poster
Message 110 of 132
Message 110 of 132

Theres been a few guys who have already said this but its handy sharing opinions to help eachother out. One of the main reasons I found there to be alot of Lag is because theres alot going on in the background that you dont normally see. I turn off absolutely every connection (including location) apart from my wifi (obviously) and shut all the apps down running in the background and it works. The only odd problem im having now is some nights it will be terrible, and other nights really good.
I do feel like sony has let us down badly though as sometimes I feel its so unreliable and it takes all the fun out of the whole reason why we use it in the first place! THIS NEEDS TO GET SORTED SONY.