account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Proximity sensor Incorrect working!

One time poster
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Proximity sensor Incorrect working!

Proximity sensor in front of the opening of the close of the screen, the screen turns off when you open the front of the sensor.

Normally you need to do is do the opposite.

I can not see the screen during a phone call

1.jpg

2.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Proximity sensor Incorrect working!

Try performing a system repair using PC Companion as this will often fix issues - This will factory reset your phone and erase all data so best to backup before you begin

Switch off your phone and unplug from Pc (Hold volume up and power for around 10 seconds)
Start PC Companion and select Support zone then Update my phone/tablet then in Blue Repair my phone/tablet and follow the on screen instructions - When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button - This should start the repair or reformat process

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64bit operating system then adjust the settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode and chose Windows 7 or XP

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Forum Legend
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

If that doesn't work then I'm sorry to hear this but you would need to either return your device to the place of purchase or contact Xperia care and have your device inspected http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hi, guys

So, proximity sensor doesn't switch off screen during calls when it should, causing ending calls in my pocket or opening stuff by mistake when holding the phone to my ear.

This is a software bug, not a hardware issue (proximity sensor reacts ok on testing with multiple apps, but not in dialer, where it should). So returning the phone won't result in any benefit on my side, since it won't fix the actual issue.

Yesterday I read somewhere on the forums that 3rd party apps might cause these issues, though I was having the same apps on my previous Samsung device, and never encountered such an issue before. So I'm pretty sure this is not caused by third party apps.

And so I uninstalled the most recent app that I had installed (again, I had the same apps installed on my previous Samsung phone, and never had this issue): the Google Now Launcher. Then I restarted the phone and the problem was gone. For a while.

Today, I had the same issue again. And reading somewhere that a factory reset of the phone will fix the issue, even though I'm not a big fan of redownloading all my apps and setting the phone up all over again, I did it, hoping it would actually fix the issue. It didn't.

And not just that it didn't, but it also revealed an issue that I heard about on the news recently, which is OEM ROMs not performing an actual full wipe on /data when the user does a factory reset of the phone. This is unacceptable. And even though this is not related to the proximity sensor issue described in this thread, it's still very concerning that companies like Sony still don't care for user security, or they want its data so much they need to do stuff like this to get it. Either way, not a good thing.

UPDATE: after some testing, I noticed the problem occurs in two circumstances:

1. headphones plugged in.
    Not everyone keeps the phone in their hand while making a phone call. Most people will call using Google Now, or will put the phone in their pockets after the person they're calling has picked up.That's the point of using headphones in the first place (so that you can have your hands free).
  2. when the phone doesn't detect movement (I suppose it's using the accelerometer/gyroscope for this, as well). If you just call someone and cover the proximity sensor, without moving the phone upwards, the screen will not turn off, even though you are in a call and even though the proximity sensor is covered (so in theory it should turn off the screen). Not sure if this is ok or not. Anyway, it's less annoying than the first one. And sometimes, even if the user takes the phone to the ear, while in a call, the screen still does not turn off, for some reason.

So please, forward this to whomever is in charge of fixing this issue so that they can fix it once and forever.

Android version is 5.0.2.

Talent
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

I have that issue too. Not always is about the software. I have installed proximity apps from Playstore to check the proximity sensor and found out that if you press a little the screen up-left the sensor becomes off, otherwise is on that's why the screen is black during a call. I'm afraid it's a service solution and not about software or third party app issue. The phone also heats up a lot. Maybe Sony should check how that sensor is fitted inside the phone since I saw that's a frequent issue.

These are the apps I used

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tigermonster.proxfinder

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=asd.vector.sensor

I'm on Z3 Compact Android 6  Biuld 23.5.A..0575 just in case.

Learner
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Smart backlight when enabled disables proximity sensor. So choice is yours.
Visitor
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Inran diagnostics on everything and it was all spot on barr one hing, ear proximity, it says cover the area and if it starts vibrating its fine BUT when i go onto it it starts vibrating constantly and i havnt even got my hand covering the area yet, the screen is cracked in that area too so it must be that

One time poster
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

I had the same issue just after had replaced my screen by official service.
I tested my phone many times before and after doing factory reseting, but problem didn't solved. While the testing, proximity value start with "OFF", and when it senses the object near them it says "ON", and never ever changes.

Soo, I have learned that I should live with that for a time.

Then, I installed the program called "Sensors Test", and I did proximity sensor test. It sensed near and far for the first time in that moment. After that I did *#*#7478423#*#* service test again, and it worked in there too Grinning Face
(Thus, it started working while phone calls Winking Face.

I cannot understand how did it happened but maybe this third-party program, triggered the switch to turn off from proximity variables even if it's turned on before or what.

I hope it will work everyone that had suffered from same issue.
One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

This did not work for me, but I did realise that when squeezing the top right hand corner of the phone, the sensor starts to behave correctly. I.e. it defaults to "far", and then goes to "near" when you bring your hand near the top of the phone.

Stop squeezing however, and it goes back to "near" all the time.