account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Navigation bar doesn't respond

Learner
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Navigation bar doesn't respond

Hi, I have been using my xperia Z3 compact for 2 years. Suddenly, the navigation bar stopped responding. Home button doesn't work when I tap on it nor do the back button and the button for recent apps. I restarted the phone a few times but that didn't help. Please help me.

12 REPLIES 12
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Navigation bar doesn't respond

Hi @Z3C_user1, welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear about this issue Slightly frowning Face

Based on the information provided I recommend you try running a software repair using Xperia Companion.

If it still does the same thing in after the software repair then I recommend you contact your Local support team to arrange repair.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Hi, I have a similar issue. My navigation bar buttons stopped working. But I can tap on the area in lock screen and everything works fine, I can start camera app and unblock screen. Sometimes buttons start working after some time when phone is unblocked. But most time don't. 

I haven't tried softweare repair yet. But I found a workaroud. You can try to turn on "Glove-mode" in display settings. It doesn't 100% fix it, but at least something.

Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

@Z3C_user1

@SnusMumr

You have installed an app that has the permission to draw over other apps. That's why you can access the navigation buttons in lock screen, and probably also in safe mode. Uninstalling apps one by one until the issue disappears is the only way to figure out which app does this.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Regular
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

@Quester

I tried booting in safe mode and the problem persists.

I didn't install any applications for two months, I think. However, can I see a list of applications, that could draw over other apps? 

Regular
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

So, software repair didn't help.

Emperor
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

@SnusMumr

time to get it inspected by your Local support

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

@CameronT

@SnusMumr

@Quester

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try these methods to solve this problem. For now, glove mode works just fine. 

Visitor
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Hi Z3c_user,

Could you resolve the problem?

I had similar issue with the notification bar / pull down menu. It stopped working for several months but then started working again after some update.

Now the buttons on the bottom have stopped working.

I do not think that it is a hardware issue, since:
1. The respective part of the touchscreen works flawlessly in other applications and in the lock screen.
2. I had similar issue with the notification bar / pull down menu. It stopped working for several months but then started working again after some update.

Best,
polodipolo

One time poster
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Touchscreen Back arrow not responding

Woke up this morning to find my return arrow not working, also my home button. I have shut down and restarted the phone a few times but fault persists. Any ideas?