account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

One time poster
Message 21 of 25
Message 21 of 25

Re: My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

Hi, 

I got new XA2 with Android 8.0 July update. Phone has the same annoying issue. During the call touch display is active and randomly does stuff. 

Is there a real fix for this or should I return the phone ASAP to the seller. 

I also learned that AR apps don't work on this device due virtual gyroscope solution. 

One time poster
Message 22 of 25
Message 22 of 25

Re: My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

Hi all, I am a long suffering user of the XA1, this proximity issue that doesn't exist has been a problem for me from day one. Mine constantly switches flashlight on and drains battery. The answer for me is don't buy Sony, I got no help other than an offer to be without my phone for 2-3 weeks so they can tell me there is no problem. This otherwise nice phone is a piece that can't make simple phone calls! 

One time poster
Message 23 of 25
Message 23 of 25

I've had the same issue with my old Z2 and now with my XA1.

So to suggest that this is a handset issue suggests that either I've been incredibly unlucky with my handsets or there's a deeper problem that Sony are pretending doesn't exist.

Have a Samsung J5 for a works phone which I have to say has been a good handest with no issues.

Will probably go back to them or Huawei in the future as this is incredibly annoying.

Message 24 of 25
Message 24 of 25

I totally agree. I also have exactly this extremely irritating problem, from day one on my Xperia XZ2 Compact. The problem persist over multiple software updates. Notable also after return from service where they replaced the whole circuit board due to the phone died in my hands unexpectedly... This was just a few weeks after I bought it. 

I have never experienced this problem on my previous phone, Samsung S5 Mini.

Please fix! Ask the competitors if you don't know how. 

Rookie
Message 25 of 25
Message 25 of 25

I just bought a Sony XA2 and this is a major problem for me. Every time I get a call I end up hanging up by mistake, turning on bluetooth and the flashlight, turning off wifi, etc.. etc.. I have now started using the phone hands free because using it like a normal phone is impossible, but sometimes I need to talk to someone privately or in a busy place and holding it by my ear is the only option.

Not only am I annoyed by the terrible design of this phone/software, but I am even more annoyed by the Sony replies to this thread which try to shift the blame at every possible chance. Why can't you see this is a legitmate problem and fix it instead of trying to blame stupid things that have nothing to do with it, like 3rd party apps or faulty handsets etc...

This is the second Sony product I have bought recently that has been a massive let down. Previously it was a brand new TV a few years ago that says it supports Bluetooth yet secretly it does not support bluetooth headphones. Is this massive company now just a bunch of liars and corner cutters that don't even care about the customers anymore?