account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

Regular
Message 11 of 25
Message 11 of 25

Re: My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

Couldn't agree more with your post, this issue has been around for a very very long time with ALL devices....Z1, Z1c, Z2, Z3, Z3c

To suggest to get your phone to a repair centre is totally ridiculous.....

They can't fix it anyway, I have the same issue.........it is a very irritating problem, especially on important calls.

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 25
Message 12 of 25

Re: My cheek/ear selects things on touch screen while taking calls. Proximity sensor problem?

I again say try my solution I posted previously.

-------- If my Post or Answer helped you out, Please KUDOS me Slightly smiling Face
Adviser
Message 13 of 25
Message 13 of 25

Guys I have found an amazing app on google play gives u a relaiable solution..
Check out "Call Screen Lock" By duckbone apps,

It locks the touch during any call automatically and u have to longpress an icon on the screen to unlock it during the call.of course after hanging up it will automatically unlock the screen.

Check it out and tell me what do you think.
I hope Sony meanwhile finds a permanent solution for this everlasting issue !! :@
Apprentice
Message 14 of 25
Message 14 of 25

RohitTech, your previous post detailed what is at best a workaround. That's not really satisfactory when it is becoming clear that there is a fairly fundamental flaw with much of the xperia line.

Be interested to hear from the Support team on this issue. And to understand what 'repair' they have in mind for a series-wide problem that seems to have been popping up for several generations now.

However, since it does look like 'workaround' solutions are the best we're going to get for now, then I'll definitely look into the app you mentioned HussaMix. I see there are several apps like this - I wonder which is the best. Perhaps there is an 'unofficially recommended for xperia users' app out there!

Thanks folks!

More thoughts on this very welcome!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 15 of 25
Message 15 of 25

I recommend that you follow my previous suggestion. There's no general issue with the proximity sensor and from what you are describing we need to repair/replace your phone.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 16 of 25
Message 16 of 25

Thanks Rickard.

I certainly would be interested in getting it repaired if I knew that there was a good chance it could be repaired. I wouldn't want to be without a phone for a week or so and then not have the problem solved.

Also, would this be the best channel to seek repair? I Haven't spoken to EE (my provider) about this yet. I have no idea whether the best channel for repair/replacement is here or EE.

Thoughts welcome folks.

Apprentice
Message 17 of 25
Message 17 of 25

Just to ask again gang - what do you all reckon would be my best avenue for getting my phone repaired: Here directly with Sony? Or via my provider EE?

Any thoughts most welcome.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 18 of 25
Message 18 of 25

I would recommend that you contact your local support team to check what option is best for having it repaired or replaced. Depending on your country, you may be able to order a service directlly from www.sonymobile.com -> Support -> My support.

Regarding the issue, i'm sure that a service location can fix it for you. There's no general issue with the proximity sensor in Z3 Compact, i use one myself.

But perhaps you should mention to them that the proximity switch is not entirely defect and appears to be working in the diagnostic app so it may perhaps be something with the calibration.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 19 of 25
Message 19 of 25

"There's no general issue with the proximity filter in Z3 Compact" ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Yeah, right.

Right from day one, I have had exactly this problem - and as others have mentioned, it's across multiple generations. Yep, no issue at all.

One time poster
Message 20 of 25
Message 20 of 25

Hi,

After the latest Xperia software update I have now this problem as well on my Z1.

Actually I discovered two problematic issues that I never have encountered before.

1) When making calls, the screen isn't insensitive any longer

2) The quick choice for 'silent mode' is gone

I suspect both of these are .... "features" with the newest software update.